Trying to make mineralized topsoil-have a few questions. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Trying to make mineralized topsoil-have a few questions.

Hey out there,

I'm setting up my 75 gallon to be a planted community tank. Was going to try to use gravel and fert but have decided to go with mts as I am not paying over $100 for eco or aquasoil.

couldn't find any bag soil that wasn't mostly peat and other misc. organics. Even the cheap stuff.

Went to a nursery and bought a load of their bulk topsoil they use for lawn seeding etc. It has no "known" additives.

did the soak and spread out on tarp but it is very clumpy and won't spread easy.
the guy said it would have clay in it. It appears to have a good amount of grey clay already. So, question is should I skip adding the clay part of the process? Or is it normal to have heavy, thick clumpy stuff.

also, have heard rexolin APN is a good micro, and have found it only at a singapore website:
http://www.ecocityhydroponics.com/rexolin-apn.html

I hope its real and it only comes from a liquid from them. Was thinking of adding to the dirt when I make the goo to put in tank. Anybody know where I can get this in US?

Also, where can I find potash and dolomite?
Please give me any comments on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

also

I have read about some people putting a thin layer of sand between soil and gravel is this useful/necessary?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Dolomite - http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/in...itU=2&Regit=14

Potash - http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Yield-Ferti.../dp/B000OVE59M

Rexolin APN contains too high of fertilizer compounds in it, 5.8% iron is too high for aquatic plants, I mean everything listed in the Rexolin APN is too high in available quantity that it contains, basically you'll be overdosing the plants by using Rexolin.

You can basically find everything you need at these online retailers

http://www.bobstropicalplants.com/shop/en/6-fertilizers

and

http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/in...ditU=1&Regit=2

The difference between the amount of Iron in Rexoli, and what's in others is that Bobs & AquariumFertilizers both use Chelated Iron by mass with EDTA or DTPA as chelating agents, and plants respond better to chelated iron.

For the Fertilizers you need to maintain a healthy planted aquarium, now my question is "what about your plan for Co2"? Plus you can use SeaChem Flourite for a clay compound for the MTS, or Special Kitty: All Natural Cat Litter (MUST be all natural because it's 100% clay).

Last edited by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx; 08-12-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: spelling

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

muriate of potash or potassium sulphate/nitrate

making mineralized topsoil and am going to buy some potassium

muriate of potash is suggested but "hi yield" brand (the only one I can find online) says only 10% available potash, potassium sulphate or nitrate contain much much potassium and Sulphates and nitrates are used in many planted tank fertilizer products. could I use these or would it be too much.

also, bought topsoil bulk from a nursery. after soaking and drying I've come to the conclusion that it has a very high grey clay content. More than the 10% you add to mts.

will this be ok. or should I find new soil. all bag products i've found contain everything but dirt. up to 80% peat, hummus etc. yes i've checked the cheap stuff.

any help would be great
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx View Post
Rexolin APN contains too high of fertilizer compounds in it, 5.8% iron is too high for aquatic plants.....
Do you have a source link for that? I would be very interested in reading a scientific study about the relationship of Iron and Aquatic plant growth.

Last edited by DogFish; 08-14-2012 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Added quote bracket
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post

Do you have a source link for that? I would be very interested in reading a scientific study about the relationship of Iron and Aquatic plant growth.

Because Rexolin APN doesn't use chelated Iron which 1) makes it harder for the plants to absorb it, and 2) it's a proven fact that aquatic plants absorb chelated Iron much easier than non-chelated. Now because Rexolin doesn't use any chelating agents in it's fertilizer, the chances of overdosing your plants grows.

"Definition
Chelated iron consists of iron molecules chemically bonded to organic molecules. This forms a solution that plants can absorb through their root systems and use as nutrients. Iron molecules can bond to many different organic compounds and chelated iron is available as a powder, liquid or granule.

Uses
Iron is a necessary molecule for plants. If plants are not able to absorb enough iron, they develop a condition called iron chlorosis. Iron-deprived plants begin displaying signs of iron chlorosis on new leaves and shoots. The tips of the leaves begin to yellow, gradually spreading back on the leaf toward the stem. The veins remain green, however, until iron chlorosis reaches critical levels."

http://www.ehow.com/list_7597688_iro...te-plants.html

"Chelated iron is immediately available to plants and can reverse leaf yellowing temporarily when applications begin before the problem becomes too severe."

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/iron-ch...ves-26730.html

45g Long - High Light Planted Tank / 30g - Plant Grow Out Tank / 100g Tank - currently resealing

Last edited by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx; 08-13-2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: adding more information
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx View Post
Because Rexolin APN doesn't use chelated Iron...

I must be reading the link wrong, "An ideal mixture of all chelated nutrients mentioned above containing 5.8% iron"

I understand that sentence to mean they do in fact use Chelated Iron.

I actually do not only understand what Clelated Iron is, I'm in the process of testing usage levels on Cryptocornyes. I'm using 10% Cleated Iron I'm with my MTS mix. I'm finding good result with C. Becketti, C. Keei and C. Nurii in color & growth.

I just thought I ask if you may have found a study some where.

Last edited by DogFish; 08-14-2012 at 01:17 AM. Reason: needed adverbs

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode