Planting in sand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planting in sand?

I see a lot of tanks with what appears simply to be sandy bottoms. Will plants grow well if planted in sand? Only certain types perhaps? Or do you need to put something else in a later under it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)
I'm growing in just sand currently. Heavy root feeders like swords are having a tough time growing and I'm seeing some melting on the leaves. However, fast growing and very tolerant plants have no problem with it.

Keep in mind that I'm dosing a carbon supplement daily, use Flourish comprehensive weekly and have just started my homemade CO2 with 50W of T5 lighting on a 29g tank.

EDIT: The grow rate on the plants is good, but I should add that its nowhere near as quick as my 5g dirted holding tank which sits in in-direct sunlight.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I use a more coarse sand in both of my tanks, along with root tabs. Growth is great, and the plants are much easier to plant. My 36g is about 75% stems, so every few months I need to just toss the bottoms and start the bushes fresh, works great with the sand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 05:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
people also tend to have potting soil or topsoil under their sand, which certainly helps growth. osmocote and peat work well too/

RAOK club #37

|
|
|
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 05:43 AM
Algae Grower

Is sand a sufficient substrate if root tabs are being used? And is dosing ferts still good to do with the tabs? I want to grow more in my sand tank, besides java ferns and anubias... I have one dirt tank and one with sand.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 06:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik000 View Post
Is sand a sufficient substrate if root tabs are being used? And is dosing ferts still good to do with the tabs? I want to grow more in my sand tank, besides java ferns and anubias... I have one dirt tank and one with sand.
it sure is. I have many many stems in my 36g with sand and root tabs. When the growth slows on my rosette plants I pop a few more tabs in under the plants. I also column dose using a modified EI method (dang ludwigia inclinata 'cuba' loves the KN03)
Here is an older picture, the tank as it sits now is much more grown in lol.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 06:11 AM
Algae Grower

sounds good! do you remove the root tabs after some time or just leave them?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 06:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The root tabs dissolve into the sand and are used by the plants. I personally like Rootmedic, great fertilizers and the company is owned by a member here.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sand is quite well. My amazons grow wel in there too. My crypts did well too. It has peat underneat so plants grow well without any ferts. I <3 SAND!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
my 29(the one in my sig) is all sand. for me my plants grew just fine without roottabs, but the just didn't look right. i now use flourish root tabs, my plants are doing fantastic. i do not dose ferts, no co2 and high light.

the longer my tank has been running the better my plants do without tabs. i also run a over stocked tank, so the bioload is very high aswell.

Will

on Facebook.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode