Capping Miracle Gro with Gravel - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Capping Miracle Gro with Gravel

Has anyone else done this?

I want to do this with one of my 5 gallons.

I plan 2 inches of Miracle Gro and 1.5 inches of gravel.

How would Malaysian trumpet snails do in this? Is the gravel too rough for them?

In my other 5 I plan to do Miracle gro capped with Black diamond and perhaps a contrasting area of pool filter sand. Same depth of substrates.

The plants I have on order (yay and gratitude for generous Forum members!)

Hornwort
Taiwan moss
Najas grass
Dwarf water lettuce
Dwarf sag
S. Bihar
Red root floaters
Hygros
Ludwiga

I have two 5 gallons (one is a Fluval Spec V) a 10 and a 2.5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
What kind of gravel? I personally wouldn't trust a large grain gravel as a cap.

And did you really ask if something was too rough for a...snail? I don't think anything can be too rough for a snail.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

40B - Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~~
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
I never recommend using traditional round aquarium gravel over soil based substrates.
River gravel or whatever you use as a term for it, poor results are often reported.
Think of it like looking at a glass filled with marbles, all the gaps between those round shapes allows a path for water movement and a path for the lighter materials in the soil to release into the water of the aquarium. Your second choice of Black Diamond blasting media will yield much better results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Re:snails--Itold you I was a newb!

Okay black diamond. Sometimes I just want to put fluorite in it and skip the wait!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Dont cap with gravel, its really messy and it doesnt really like to compact the dirt at all to keep it from... for lack of a better word, "spray out of the gravel". I'd go with sand ecspecially with MTS because theyll keep the sand from getting the type of bacteria that doesnt use air and is toxic
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I bought the miracle gro and the black diamond today at Tractor Supply on the way back from the monthly rice run (really great Asian market up past the Tractor Suppy, near Trader Joe's, about 30 minutes away).

I also stopped into Petco and Care a Lot to see if either had Eco Complete in stock.

Nope.

Plus bought ammonia from the Ace Hardware for the upcoming fish less cycling of the other 5 and the 2.5

I might sell the current 10 with its filter hood light and stand to a friend who has cyclists bc I can't get the mineral deposits off the inside of it. I was being naive when I bought it.

Have been reading about mineralizing and wonder if I should process the Miracle Gro somewhat before capping it with the black diamond.

Do I need to wash the black diamond?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have had great success with capping soil with gravel. Initially though the water will be cloudy but later on it is absolutely fine. I've had vals that took off like crazy and basically overtook the entire tank. I say try it if you like the gravel look.

"You Only Live Once"
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish92 View Post
I have had great success with capping soil with gravel. Initially though the water will be cloudy but later on it is absolutely fine. I've had vals that took off like crazy and basically overtook the entire tank. I say try it if you like the gravel look.

Oh interesting!

I am thinking of putting a contrast beach area of gravel on top of the black diamond as a compromise.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 01:48 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
You have what you need, the black diamond and the miracle gro will do the trick, no need to buy the Eco complete unless you really want to.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 12:27 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
i used gravel on mine, and unless i really mess around in my tank i don't get dirt shooting up...and if it does, in a while i will have a gravel bottomed tank just like how i used to do it lol
I personally would mineralize the dirt, even just a single drying or two if possible

I hope everything does well
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 01:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

get the woodchunks out, it becomes a mess after a while if you dont.

125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987456321 View Post
I personally would mineralize the dirt, even just a single drying or two if possible
The organics take months to break down and a few wet dry cycles do not 'mineralize' anything. Soaking the dirt might help jump start the bacteria but it doesn't change anything on how the soil transitions to the submerged decay rate. I would load the base dry (less mess), plant it and enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalu86 View Post
get the woodchunks out, it becomes a mess after a while if you dont.
Only if the cap is breached. Larger pieces only take longer for the bacteria to break it down so look at as time release nutrients for sustained plant support. I've done 8 of these tanks trying different angles on the method. The straight bag dump is lasting the longest. If it's smaller than a 2x4 leave it LOL

This is all I removed using the whole bag.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Algae Grower

Id go with SAF- T -SORB as a cap.....also available at tractor supply 40lb bag=$4.99
high CEC....nice color....does require sifting/rinsing it quite a bit...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a tank with miracle grow organic potting mix capped with the Black diamond.
Didn't wash or sift anything.I did sprinkle a little osmocote on the bottom before dumping the miracle grow in.
Tank was cloudy(not bad) for a few hours, but cleared by the next day.
This was six month's ago and plant's ,shrimp,fishes,are doin well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode