Need help choosing a good substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Need help choosing a good substrate

I got rid of all my bw fish. I am setting up my 72g for my black ghost knife. I will be setting this tank up low tech with a variety of swords. I want something cheep and decent. Dirt is out of the question because my fish is a digger my budget is around 50 dollars what would be good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Have a look at the thread where many substrates are being discussed.

I like the Turface/Safe-T-Sorb idea.
I have Soil Master Select (similar to Turface, but no longer available) in several tanks.
It removes the carbonates from the water, allowing the pH to drop. I add baking soda to correct this.
High CEC, so it holds fertilizers very well for the plants.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=153412

here it is, all 11 pages of TONS of info about almost all the substrates in use.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 06:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

+1 turface MVP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Sand with root tabs. I had swords in my tank with straight sand and root tabs and they grew out of control. Throw in some MTS to keep the sand stirred up and you're good to go.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Mts seemed like the best bet but I live in an apartment, so that was not gonna work for me.

So I thought.....screw it I will get Ada Amazonia. I did not think it would be SO highly priced. My Lfs said 240$ to do my tank, I hung up the phone.

I called my other Lfs that I like better.
The only problem is; they do not know what "Ada" is, they are very old school, and they're knowledge of planted tanks is somewhat below par. But they have been in business for 50+ years and the customer service is AMAZING. Any way, they had aquatic flora. After a little research I thought I could get more bang for my buck.

I ended up ordering 4 20lb bags of Eco complete. It was 16.99 a bag and shipping was free so I did not mind dropping an extra ten bucks to have it at my door in 3 days.

From what I understand, Eco complete is somewhat sharp. A I mentioned before I will have a black ghost knife in this tank(scaleless fish that Likes to dig)
For his/her? Sake I'm thinking I should cap it with sand his nose has been pretty banged up by fluorite in the past.

Has anyone kept bgk with Eco complete?

If I do need to cap what would be the best sand to use, and how deep should the cap be?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
MTS I was talking about is Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They dig in sand to keep it aerated.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I love bgk my favorite tank I saw one in was a calcined clay substrate but it was black and super light like my turface. I would cap it with grey turface if you can find it or just replace it with the turface

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpNewbie View Post
I love bgk my favorite tank I saw one in was a calcined clay substrate but it was black and super light like my turface. I would cap it with grey turface if you can find it or just replace it with the turface
What is turf ace

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode