Methods for exterminating pests - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Methods for exterminating pests

I am setting up a new planted tank and would like to use some eco complete that was used in my previous tank in order to save some money. The problem is that the previous tank had an outbreak of small snails that probably came in on some of the plants. I don't want another outbreak of snails in the new tank.

What would be a good way to ensure that there are no snails in the eco complete when I add it to the new tank? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Use No-planaria, it really works for me on both planaria and nuisance snails. I get it from Orlando over at Greenleaf Aquariums.
Jimbo.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
An extreme measure you can do is put substrate in a bucket. boil water and pour it into the bucket and let it sit for 5-10min and stir. This will kill everything for sure. I have done this once because i had snails bad and it worked really well. After I got the substrate back in I put in fert tabs in the soil or you can just get assassin snails and let them handle it naturally

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
potassium permanganate soak @ 10-15 ppm for a half hour and stir substrate to insure even coverage.
dump water, add clean water, stir and soak again, dump again and you're ready to go.
Jungle ClearWater or Kordon Permoxyn are two options for ready mixed solutions if you don't want to just order the raw chemical.

Easing my toes in the water
SFBAAPS Member
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Bake it in the oven for an hour at 300.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
After any of these treatments you will have dead snails decomposing in the substrate. I would go ahead and set up the tank, then do the fishless cycle while monitoring what is going on with the dead snails. If there were a lot they could cause quite a spike of ammonia in a new set up.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvonflue View Post
An extreme measure you can do is put substrate in a bucket. boil water and pour it into the bucket and let it sit for 5-10min and stir. This will kill everything for sure. I have done this once because i had snails bad and it worked really well. After I got the substrate back in I put in fert tabs in the soil or you can just get assassin snails and let them handle it naturally
You also kill all the bb if the purpose is to use established substrate to speed up cycling. Beside boiling could present a dangerous situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrastro View Post
potassium permanganate soak @ 10-15 ppm for a half hour and stir substrate to insure even coverage.
dump water, add clean water, stir and soak again, dump again and you're ready to go.
Jungle ClearWater or Kordon Permoxyn are two options for ready mixed solutions if you don't want to just order the raw chemical.
Potassium Permanganate more than likely won't be accessible to many. I know I could not find it anywhere when I needed it. I agree with just setting up a new tank. If it were me and I wasn't in a rush, I'd break down the tank, isolate the plants you want to keep and treat for snails. I'd take the substrate thru a vigorous cleaning session. I'd avoid boiling though. There have been some bad incidents about boiling rocks to cleanse for aquarium usage. I can find the link if needed to explain why. If in doubt about your rocks/substrate, don't boil them. Your better of doing solution soaks, baked or cleaning it like your mineralizing soil to let whatever is in there vacate the substrate. Not many things want to be under direct sunlight and heat. At least not here in Texas.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode