Can Corydoras live in a tank with fluorite gravel? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Can Corydoras live in a tank with fluorite gravel?

I recently changed my tank to fluorite gravel. Added two cories about 3 weeks ago. One died a few days ago and now the other is not looking well. Did some research and saw a comment that they do not do well with rough substrate. Anyone keeping cories on fluorite successfully?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:53 AM
GEEK

PTrader: (68/100%)
I have Corydoras pygmaeus and Corydoras panda on fluorite and they are doing great.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 05:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
if you just changed all your substrate out, was your tank cycled before and did you not keep any of the old substrate in? your tank could be in a second cycle, which would account for your cories' deaths. test your parameters...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 07:01 AM
Algae Grower

I've had corydoras Habrosus in a tank with ecocompete before....bad idea. Poor little things all lost their barbels sifting through the soil!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Should have mentioned that the gravel was changed about 8 weeks ago, didn't change the canister filter and had a very short cycle. ammonia and nitrite show 0. Nitrate is 40 ppm I'm using pps-pro solutions for ferts. This may have been related to heat as the tank got to 82.3 max while I was gone on vacation according to my RKL.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who have kept cories on fluorite longer than 3 months. I'd really like to have 3-6 of these in the tank but only if they have no problem with the substrate.

Also, if cories are not compatible with fluorite what bottom dwellers are?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (206/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd
i don't recommend anything that likes to root in teh substrate to be on flourite. The edges are just too rough. Loaches, cories, etc will all have issues with their barbels when kept on that sort of surface long term. Also, cories are extremely social, and should be kept in groups preferably larger than 6.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Mine did great, they were even breeding. But I used flourite sand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
I think it's a myth, but I haven't confirmed it by testing. My quarantine tank has flourite and about 20 young cories that are fine, but they will be moved in a couple weeks. I've never lost cories in other tanks to barbel deterioration as far as I know.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Algae Grower

I have a breeding population of pygmy cories on a tank that's mostly florite. I just gave them a small "sandbox" of pool filter sand in one corner and they do all their rooting around in that area. It's pretty clear that they don't like the coarse gravel and they will eat much more happily if I throw the food onto the sandy part of the tank.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

I had cories in rough flourite, they lost most of their barbels. I then changed to seachem onyx black sand and they loved it.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496

7g cube, 12g long
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have a breeding population of pygmy cories on a tank that's mostly florite. I just gave them a small "sandbox" of pool filter sand in one corner and they do all their rooting around in that area. It's pretty clear that they don't like the coarse gravel and they will eat much more happily if I throw the food onto the sandy part of the tank.

That sounds interesting. What size tank and how big is the sandy area? Did you put the sand the full depth of the surrounding substrate or just add a layer on top? Any pictures of this setup?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 04:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgd View Post
I think it's a myth, but I haven't confirmed it by testing. My quarantine tank has flourite and about 20 young cories that are fine, but they will be moved in a couple weeks. I've never lost cories in other tanks to barbel deterioration as far as I know.
It is a myth, I concur. I recall numerous people not having issues with cories and flourite, myself included. I have only used flourite original since 02'. None of my cories lost their barbels. The only time they will do so is when water conditions are poor. Water is at is worst condition at the substrate level. Thus giving everyone the impression that it is the flourite itself being the culprit. Flourite is not really sharp imo and unlike eco its not rough so it more feasible.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 04:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
I have my suspicions but I can't say for sure. Seems to be water quality to me too.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have breeded cories in regular flourite. I didnt care much for water quality. It seemed fine...never paid much attention to it.

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
My Sterbai have been doing great in my flourite tank for 2 years. Barbels are healthy looking as well. Interesting experiment from the person with sand in the corner though!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode