Just made the switch to dirt and.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just made the switch to dirt and....

I think I messed it up pretty bad haha. My water is basically black. I don't think I capped it very good. So what should I do? Let it sit? Turn my filter on? Thank god there are no fish in the tank.

Last edited by sewingalot; 07-24-2012 at 03:09 AM. Reason: please watch the language, including allusions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125
What did you use as a capping material? How think did you attempt to put on the cap? What size tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's a 20H with play sand cap

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 01:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

There are a couple of options:
1) Let it ride. See if it settles out at least somewhat in 24 hours. You could add some polyester floss to the filter, and clean it daily for a few days. If it is significantly better overnight, then it is just a matter of time (a few more days) until it is clear.

2) 100% water change. While the tank is empty of water add a bit more sand, and patch any holes in the cap so the soil is covered. Then refill this way: Put a plate or plastic bag over the substrate and fill slowly, allowing the water to run over the edge of the plate and seep into the substrate. It might take half an hour to fill your 20 gallon tank.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 01:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Do Diana's second tip, it is probably the best there is to get a newly dirted tank clear, i did the exact same thing with redirting a few 10 gallons
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yah i think my mistake was filling it too fast. I think Ill do a massive water change tomoorow. There is a very thin layer of dirt/debris on top of the sand. Is there anything I should do about this?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 02:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
+1 on the 100% W/C.

Use your syphon hose to clean the surface of the sand of dirt. Yes, you're going to suck out some sand too.

2' of dirt + 1 to 1 1/2 of sand cap.

BEFORE you put the water back in with a plate as Diana posted, plant the tank if you haven't done that yet BEFORE you add water. It will stay much nicer that way. After I fill and plant a new tank I let everything settle for 24hours with no filtration or water movement moving devices.

Then I run the filter(s)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
After I fill and plant a new tank I let everything settle for 24hours with no filtration or water movement moving devices.

Then I run the filter(s)
Just curious, what does that do for the plants?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf0rm View Post
Just curious, what does that do for the plants?
The less turbulent the water is, the faster sediment drops out. So no filter, means no flow, no turbulence, and the dirt in the water (sediment) drops out faster. Then you'll have a fine layer of sediment on top of your sand. Gently vacumn the layer of sediment up in a water change by holding your suction hose end slightly above the sand.

Tanks:
26 Gallon Aqueon Bowfront

2.5 Gallon Aqueon Bowfront
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Algae Grower

oh ok so its just for cleaning purposes then, that's cool, wish I woulda known that the past 3 days lol
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I just did a 100% water change and filled it back up very slowly. It looks much better now (I can see the back of the tank!). Ill let it sit a few hours then im going to turn the filter on. I plan on doing 20% water changes everyday until the water is completely clear
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Maybe do a 50% wc for the next two days. That might help it clear up a little faster

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode