The Planted Tank Forum banner

Just made the switch to dirt and....

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Jegli09 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think I messed it up pretty bad haha. My water is basically black. I don't think I capped it very good. So what should I do? Let it sit? Turn my filter on? Thank god there are no fish in the tank.

#4 ·
There are a couple of options:
1) Let it ride. See if it settles out at least somewhat in 24 hours. You could add some polyester floss to the filter, and clean it daily for a few days. If it is significantly better overnight, then it is just a matter of time (a few more days) until it is clear.

2) 100% water change. While the tank is empty of water add a bit more sand, and patch any holes in the cap so the soil is covered. Then refill this way: Put a plate or plastic bag over the substrate and fill slowly, allowing the water to run over the edge of the plate and seep into the substrate. It might take half an hour to fill your 20 gallon tank.

#7 ·
+1 on the 100% W/C.

Use your syphon hose to clean the surface of the sand of dirt. Yes, you're going to suck out some sand too.

2' of dirt + 1 to 1 1/2 of sand cap.

BEFORE you put the water back in with a plate as Diana posted, plant the tank if you haven't done that yet BEFORE you add water. It will stay much nicer that way. After I fill and plant a new tank I let everything settle for 24hours with no filtration or water movement moving devices.

Then I run the filter(s)

#11 ·
Well I just did a 100% water change and filled it back up very slowly. It looks much better now (I can see the back of the tank!). Ill let it sit a few hours then im going to turn the filter on. I plan on doing 20% water changes everyday until the water is completely clear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.