LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Black Diamond Grit and Coarseness?

So I see:

1. Black Diamond 20-40 Blasting Media
2. Little Fury Fine Blend (30-60) Blasting Grit

Do I want the lower number or the higher number? Which is less likely to cut my fingers and the barbels on my pygmy cories?

current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

| retired:

|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I suspect that any blasting material is likely to damage cory barbels.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Neither is more or less likely to cut (imo)
Grain or shot size changes really doesn't alter the profile to any large degree just the size overall.
Coarse sand and fines will have very similar shapes and so does coal slag media. I've kept cory over fractured clay substrate (flourite original), sand, Eco-Complete, and for the last year after testing it Black Beauty, same as diamond just a different trade name. Barbel damage to cory and a number of loach species here has not been a problem so far. Reading on the web most are now attributing barbel erosion to bacteria or fungus issues not cutting when problems happen. Many are saying dirty substrate is the main problem causing it from reading but honestly IDK.

Fractured substrate in my tanks and barbels seem fine on my critters is all I can really offer. I don't have the tiny fellas though all my cory are larger types.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So either size is okay? Someone make the decision for me lol. I'm using it to to MGOPS.

current:

| retired:

|
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

new tank?
I would use the larger grain and the only bagged product I tank here is
Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix (exact label wording)
(and yes I question the dirt as being wrong if it contains cow manure)

2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hah nevermind found it

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scales/grit.html

Bigger grit size = smaller particles.

current:

| retired:

|
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Said the other way around, the lower the number the larger the grain.
Wire, sandpaper and blasting media workout the same, the smaller the number the more coarse (bigger) the grit or grain is and the larger the wire is.
#2 wire is larger than #12 (hope this makes sense).

haha same only different duh me

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
new tank?
I would use the larger grain and the only bagged product I tank here is
Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix (exact label wording)
(and yes I question the dirt as being wrong if it contains cow manure)
This bags right here:

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 01:54 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I bought a bag of the black diamond from the local Tractor Supply store and did not look at the grit size. I bought the 40 / 80 grit size. I did not realize it till I opened the bag. This grit size is finer that aquarium sand. I am going to call them and see if they have the 20 / 40 grit and see if I can exchange it.

I can see the finer grit just chewing up the impeller in the canister when it gets disturbed and ingested by the intake tube. Not something I want to have happen.

Mark
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikuan View Post
This bags right here:

Have you used that stand yet? If so did it hold up the weight? I have one of those and I do think I'd trust that shelf connection design under a heavy load.

Of course it could be pinned with a drill and an a bolt.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Have you used that stand yet? If so did it hold up the weight? I have one of those and I do think I'd trust that shelf connection design under a heavy load.

Of course it could be pinned with a drill and an a bolt.
Its rated for 250 pounds.I dont think those wedges are going anywhere, id be more concerned abot the welds giving in. We use this type of shelves all the time in an industrial enviorement and I have yet to see one fail. My 20 gal long is indeed putting some stress in there so for peace of mind I may end up getting a heavier duty shelf system.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Grain size comparison

I don't know if this comparison helps any for size purposes. This is Black Beauty sandblasting media.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grain Size Comparison copy.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	51472  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode