Should I change Substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Should I change Substrate?

Sooooo. I have PFS in my 46 planted but you can always see the poop sitting on top, even just a few hours after a cleaning. I think maybe I should just change the substrate, but also want something that will benefit the plants but within a limited budget (small enough my husband would not notice the money was spent!) What would you all recommend? Black blasting sand? Eco Complete?

Would love something that I could grow a carpet on. Keeping in mind that I am doing low tech, no C02.

46 Bow Front Planted
Eheim 2217 & 2236, 2-39wt T5 bulbs (10,000), 72-75*
Pristella tetras, cardinal tetra, amano shirmp, bamboo shrimp, nerite snails, assassin snails and red cherry shrimp.

My tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Mandy

Last edited by PlantedTankLover; 07-20-2012 at 02:34 AM. Reason: More info added. ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Maybe just top it with eco-complete, the stuff is really light and will sit on top of the sand...

Or, get something to stir the sand and send that detritus down to the roots of the plants, like trumpet snails.. if you have fish to annoy them, theyll usually stay underground..
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 03:24 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
I don't care for toppings, especially when the colors are vastly different, since the process of uprooting and replanting plants always mix the two. Then, if you're already not liking the look of poo on sand, imagine a bunch of Eco Complete mixed with sand. Eww!

If you can swing it, I'd change it all out to Eco Complete. Maybe buy a bag here and there until you've bought enough to do the whole tank. I've found the prices at Petco.com to be the cheapest, especially if you get enough for free shipping. They've got it for $18 a bag now, but I've seen it as low as $15 a bag. Either way, that's much better than most of the LFSs have it. http://www.petco.com/product/111998/...t=OnSiteSearch

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 03:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I use both PFS and black sand blasting looks like ssalt & pepper and you wont see the poop ! Add more or less black to get the shade of color you want.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

How many would I need for a 46? What makes eco better then black blasting sand an root tabs? I was thinking of doing half the tank at a time? Maybe adding some sort of 6 inches high plex glass as a divider and do 1/2 one week and the other half the next?

46 Bow Front Planted
Pristella tetras, cardinal tetra, amano shirmp, bamboo shrimp, nerite snails, assassin snails and red cherry shrimp.

My tank:

-Mandy
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 04:26 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Eco Complete has a high CEC rate which allows it to absorb nutrients and then release them back slowly as the plants need them. Sand does not have that ability.

Here's a much more in-depth explanation of how CEC affects the growth of plants: http://www.spectrumanalytic.com/supp...ercent_sat.htm

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -

• 29g -
Retired
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 04:27 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Forgot your other question. To calculate how much you'd need, you can use this substrate calculator: https://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html.

• 90g -

• 29g -
Retired
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So looks like I would need 3-4 bags. yikes! Could I get one bag and mix that with blasting sand? Or would the eco be so diluted it would be pointless?

46 Bow Front Planted

My tank:

-Mandy
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
When you said "something that will benefit the plants", did you mean something with nutrients or something that has the capability to absorb nutrients? Even though Eco Complete has a higher CEC, people have had success using root tabs in sand.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

You can do whatever you want. Some people use blasting sand by itself. The more Eco Complete you use, the more CEC the substrate, but you can get by on less. It's really up to you.

• 90g -

• 29g -
Retired
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Not really sure? ::insert confessed look::: so let me see if I have this right. The eco absorbs the nutrients that the root tabs have and slowly releases it? So what happens to the root tabs just placed in sand?

46 Bow Front Planted

My tank:

-Mandy
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I bought 2 bags of black sand. Anyone know of a good yet inexpensive root tab I can stuff the sand with?

46 Bow Front Planted

My tank:

-Mandy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode