Substrate ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Substrate ?

I'm new to the hobby and I'm going to set up a 40gb with co2. I'm looking towards sand type substrates in order for my Cory's to poke around in. How is the fluorite black sand? I'm thinking of blasting sand or 3m color quarts also. Any information or experiences will be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I liked fluorite black, it's pretty abrasive tho, can scratch glass and for sure plexi or acrylic.
Plant roots love it, and it's heavy to it holds them down nicely. The color is not very even but that loos a but more natural than other uniform black sands.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info. I haven't decided on color ( light or dark ). What about pfs ?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Flourite black sand is VERY dirty and will cloud your water like nobody's business. You might be able to get around this by rinsing the sand first, but I have only used 1 bag of it and I did not.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
It clouds the water in the beginning if you disturbe it a lot, I would just be very careful when filling up. I had a nice canister so I guess that helped.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. Does anyone have experience with 3m color quartz?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
I thought it wasn't available anymore? Anyhow I used to use 3M Colorquartz with dwarf loaches. I don't know if they dig as much as cories but their barbels always looked good. You will need to rinse it but it's not too bad.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

3M Colorquartz is a very dense material, and very clean. It is my understanding it is off the market or perhaps being sold under a new name. There are similar products that are available. Look for the Pebbletech product line.

If you have access to 3M Colorquartz or equal, it is a nice material. I sure do not think it has any cationic exchange capacity, though. It is easiest to describe it as a very uniform sand or very fine gravel. It was available in many colors. I have one tank with the black Colorquartz. Really sharp looking.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My mistake it's not the 3m brand. Thanks for the info. On another note would you have to use root tabs on substrates that have a high cec like Eco complete or something along that line?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I wouldnt recommend anything with abrasive edges if you want cories to poke around in it. I would be afraid it would hurt the barbuels or whatever their called. I know pfs has rounder edges, not sure about blasting sand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Does anyone know which type of the aqua soil is the best for Cory's?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode