Eco-Complete Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Eco-Complete Question

I rinsed my eco-complete with tap water and dried it in the sun.

Have a ruined the soil?

Do you think it will still be able to grow HC emersed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Its still the same stuff, as i recall, all thats in the eco is flocculent and "live bacteria"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Nope, haven't ruined it at all, as it's an inert substrate. Basically just crushed lava rock, not soil. It's one of those substrates with a high CEC so it'll absorb nutrients and release them slowly over time and it's something that you can reuse over and over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Awesome, thanks!

Would you recommend I put another layer of substrate under the eco-complete for dry starting HC?

I saw somewhere people used Miracle Grows Organic dirt...

Last edited by tylergvolk; 07-14-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: grammer
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Don't use something beneath Eco-Complete unless you've done lots of research and know that's the right method for you.

Keep in mind that EC is really course, so it will take quite a while for Dwarf Baby Tears/HC to spread thickly. It does best in lighter substrates that its delicate roots can spread easily through. But you can eventually have a carpet. Will you be dosing fertilizers and using CO2?

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yes, I plant to use C02 and Ferts after I submerge.'

Thanks for the tip.

I wonder if I should keep it emerged for over 7 weeks to get the thickness I'm looking for?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Why did you wash it and dry it in the first place? It has ZERO dust right out of the bag, and leaves the water crystal clear. You have also washed away all the beneficial bacteria. It will continue to provide a long list of minerals contained in the gravel, however the minerals are oxidated. The bacteria and chealators in the water that was in the bag help to make the minerals bio available to the plants almost immediately. Since you have basically sterilized the gravel, the oxidized minerals will not become bio available until bacteria and organic acids build up in the substrate.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 03:35 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

Honestly, rinsing it won't matter. There's nothing that beneficial in the packaging. I've gone through hundreds (literally) of 20lb bags of Eco-Complete and there's never been anything that helped my cycle along.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert H View Post
Why did you wash it and dry it in the first place? It has ZERO dust right out of the bag, and leaves the water crystal clear. You have also washed away all the beneficial bacteria. It will continue to provide a long list of minerals contained in the gravel, however the minerals are oxidated. The bacteria and chealators in the water that was in the bag help to make the minerals bio available to the plants almost immediately. Since you have basically sterilized the gravel, the oxidized minerals will not become bio available until bacteria and organic acids build up in the substrate.
I rinsed the Eco-complete because it came out of a tank that I took down due to ICK. I figured I'd just start over and try something new.

The HC DSM in my BC 14 is my new project. I've been up all night researching. I'm definitely going to start a journal on this and give back to the community. Everyone here is so helpful I really appreciate the help.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 04:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
I rinsed the Eco-complete because it came out of a tank that I took down due to ICK. I figured I'd just start over and try something new.
I thought you were talking about new Eco complete out of the bag. Old, used Eco complete is a different story. I wouldn't rinse that either for the same reason. Any used, old substrate has very well established beneficial bacteria, plus all the sludge is high in nutrients for the plants. Basically you are starting over now with an uncycled tank. The gravel itself is inert and lasts forever.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rinsing because of Ich sounds like a good idea, sort of added insurance. Ich does not live when it is dried (this would also have killed the beneficial bacteria) and does not live without a host. It can live for only a few days while searching for a host.

If you want to, empty a tank of fish and leave it empty of livestock for a week, and feed the bacteria with ammonia, just like doing the fishless cycle. That will keep the bacteria alive, but the Ich will not survive.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Sounds like I am going to have to start all over as far as getting the beneficial backteria back in my tank, but as far as the eco-complete... it's good to go.

Thanks everyone!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode