Stinky Stinky Substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Question Stinky Stinky Substrate

Alright, so i redirted my 10g in my room about a week ago and my room is STINKY, smells like dirt and rotting plant matter, is that from my previous substrate? i sprayed air fresheners in my room and they smell has almost dissapeared, but was it my old dirt that did that????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
How much of your old dirt did you leave in the tank? Did it stink before you replaced it or added to it?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/83%)
Its probably all the dying bacteria in your old substrate. Different bacteria colonies form in different places in your substrate, when you mix it up, lots of them die from being in a different environment.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobystanton View Post
Its probably all the dying bacteria in your old substrate. Different bacteria colonies form in different places in your substrate, when you mix it up, lots of them die from being in a different environment.
+1! I recently replaced the sand in one of my tanks that was about a year old. It smelled pretty awful too. I also had a few fish deaths in which I never recovered or found the fishes bodies, so I'm sure that contributed to the stank.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
Not dying bacteria, dying organic material. Soil is organic material. Soil is made of leaves, plant matter, and manure. Organic material rots and decays, and it stinks. It smells like garbage and rotten eggs. Over time, any soil in water, in a confined space decays and rots.

Quote:
I recently replaced the sand in one of my tanks that was about a year old. It smelled pretty awful too. I also had a few fish deaths in which I never recovered or found the fishes bodies, so I'm sure that contributed to the stank.
Sand is not organic and does not rot, however it traps all the decaying organic material that settles to the bottom: fish poop, leaf litter, and fish food. It smells just as bad as rotting soil.

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 04:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anaerobic bacteria produce sulfides (rotting egg smell) that without proper aeration results in its buildup, I recommend poking substrate with a thin rod or add some trumpet snails
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 05:24 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
I replaced sand with dirt in my tank and it hasn't smelled like anything.

ADJ, I saw your previous topic about redoing your tank. I think you chose a soil with too much organic matter and fertilizer for whatever plants you are using.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode