How long to cycle with ADA New Amazonia & PowerSand Special - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How long to cycle with ADA New Amazonia & PowerSand Special

Hi guys, just curious and I know that each tank is different but I would like to ask you how long would it take to cycle tank with ADA Amazonia and PowerSand Special?
PWS includes already useful bacteria and feeding for them and as i understood leaching of nitrites should be lowered within New Amazonia and not as big water changes during cycling are needed compared to I & II.
what is your experience?
my tank was rescaped and is currently on 4th day of cycling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I think it is leaching Ammonia and not Nitrites. Ammonia got converted in to Nitrites from my understanding. I have 2 tank with New Amazonia, and here is from my experience.

After filling it up with water, you have to do a water change the next day. Try to poke in the substrate before you do the water change to release any air bubbles under the substrate. If you want to wait for 2 days it will be better. Just make sure you poke the air bubbles as much as you can.

I always use the Nutrafin Cycle. I think it helped a lot. Not sure if you are using tap or RO or both, if both use tap with PRIME and after first water change mineralize your water and fill it up.

I dose Nutrafin Cycle everyday (I think I am overdosing) but I don't care. LOL I want as much bacteria as I can in there.

My tank was cycled after 10 days. But before you add any shrimp, I will recommend do another water change, and get the water to settle for 1 or 2 days, check the parameter and then add shrimp.

Hope this help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please forgive me for my grammar mistakes!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i am currently using mostly tap water, but last water change was mostly RO, when finishing cycling i plan to use RO with Bee Shrimp Mineral GH Plus to remineralize it to softwater shrimps. No tap water afterwards.
I did one day after planting some seeding of HC so some bubbles got away?
how bad is it to have bubbles under substrate, shouldnt it go away as time goes?

I have also some bacteria starters but dont want to rush it as PowerSand Special already includes Bacter 100 and Clear Super which are already usefull bacteria.

how did u realize that it is cycled? 0 level of Ammonia?
i have my shrimplets provisionary in another tank and dont want to risk any harm, probably will drop few neos in a week whether they will survive.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

You know it is cycled when you have 0 Ammonia and Nitrite and some reading of Nitrate. Nitrate should be close to 0 if not then you need to do a water change. From my opinion, the power sand special is for the bacteria under the substrate and it may take a while to get it up? I am not sure.

The bubbles are really bad. It is poisonous and can kill your shrimp. You better do it now then later. Especially for newly setup tank. The bubble don't leave the substrate unless you poke it. Does it go away as time goes? I don't know and I don't want to risk that. The longer it stay there, more poisonous it is that is what I think. After I have some experience with it, I always try to get rid of the bubble as my as I can during first fill in. After that I will wait until the tank almost cycle and throw in some Malaysian Trumpet Snail and let them take care of the rest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
If you have nothing living in the tank, don't worry about water changes. When ammonia and nitrites are zero, and you have nitrates, is when the cycle is done or nearly so. Bubbles in the substrate of a newly scaped tank are not much of a concern to me, personally. They are probably just trapped air pockets gradually escaping.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i am not a big fan of MTS as i want to have HC carpet and they really like to go under the soil. my friend has experience that it ate the roots so he had to change the whole substrate and was very thankful to me that i gave them to him
i will try to stir the soil a bit.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
If you have nothing living in the tank, don't worry about water changes. When ammonia and nitrites are zero, and you have nitrates, is when the cycle is done or nearly so. Bubbles in the substrate of a newly scaped tank are not much of a concern to me, personally. They are probably just trapped air pockets gradually escaping.
The bad part is when they don't escape that soon and it will create a poisonous gas pockets. Which kill a lot of my OEBT. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by triscene View Post
i am not a big fan of MTS as i want to have HC carpet and they really like to go under the soil. my friend has experience that it ate the roots so he had to change the whole substrate and was very thankful to me that i gave them to him
i will try to stir the soil a bit.
Really? I have no problem with it in my HC carpet tank. I will think that they don't know where to go when HC is full in the tank. LOL They are a really good helper.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
usually takes about a week or so.. i did about 20% WC first day, second day, and then like 7th day (because of the high nitrate) on the 8th I everything was stable. This comming from a mature HOB. So just keep testing, you dont have to do a WC but it's just something I do.

use a skewer to poke air bubbles in your substrate to get them out. they will usually come out themselves but still good to do it while cycling
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey guys, bringing this up. I've been cycling Amazonia did 3 weeks now. My ammonia is at zero and has been about a week, but my nitrite is off the chart. I'm doing daily 50% changed without much luck.

Tank is planted with co2. Also using EI dosing.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
I would do one water change a week. You might be dropping the nitrite too much and not allowing the nitrate to build up.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Even after water changed the nitrite isn't going down much and pops back up within hours. I'm traveling part of next week so that'll force no changes.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
Could be a testing kit error or something. Tanks cycle on their own as long as ammonia is present. The tank will cycle itself with Aquasoil. I've done tanks with Aquasoil with no water changes in the first two months. Things grew great. You will be fine.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode