Eco Complete or Flourite? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Eco Complete or Flourite?

Which is better and easier to use? I heard Aquasoil turns to mush and dont want this to happen. I'm leaving in a couple minute to get it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
If you put a gun to my head, I guess I'd have to go with eco complete.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks xmas. I was thinking of getting that one anyway. Now lets see if the pet store has it :p

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish
I like the look of eco complete better. It's darker
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Petco.com ^^ not sure if you guys have petco there.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by In.a.Box View Post
Petco.com ^^ not sure if you guys have petco there.
No, we dont have Petco. We have Mr Pets, Petcetera (I HATE THEM!!), Pet Food n' More (not really any fish stuff). Theres another Mr Pets 20min away and a Petland (not a big fan of the way they treat the small animals).
Getting sand from Ronas tomorow. Will test it in Pearls or Bubbles tank first.

Last edited by Pearl2011; 07-10-2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Sentences make more sense with all the words.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And its okay if the Eco-Complete goes under the sand, right?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
eco. flourite is way too dusty. it's so bad i stopped taking care of the tank b/c every time i did something i'd have brown water
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

You guys have convinced me not to get Flourite (lol). Byron on tropicalfishkeeping.com said it did nothing.
Mr Pets has no Eco-Complete so I am just going to get sand and use root tabs.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
They are one in the same. Neither one is really any better than the other. Now there are pros and cons to them both just like anything else. The only real negative with flourite is it needs thorough cleaning, cleaning that most aren't up for. If you clean it, its just as good. I can deal with flourite not coming with bacteria, a tank will eventually cycle. Some like the look of eco better. This is the visual aspect of the two. I find flourite more natural and more attractive. Eco for me has a few negatives, it cost more for less. Eco comes in a 20lb bag in which some of that is liquid. Flourite comes in a 15.7lb bag, all floruite. Eco is lighter. Can be a pain to plant in. Flourite holds plants fairly well. Unless you get eco from petco, it can be more expensive from what I have seen. Eco also has inconsistent grain sizes. Flourite is all the same grain size. I have also heard complaints about eco lately that not all of it is what its suppose to be.

You can't go wrong with either. If you set up two identical tanks with only the substrate being different, you won't see major differences more than likely.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:10 AM
Planted Member

Go with the Flourite. I have it in my 90g and love it. Yes it did take a very long time to clean but I did figure out a way to clean it pretty fast and I have never had any cloudy water.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Go with the Eco Complete. Easy, aesthetically pleasing, and i just ordered 5 bags @$18 per bag with free shipping from Dr. Fosters and Smith and they were delivered in 3 business days. Just got it today and i was pretty impressed.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
They are one in the same. Neither one is really any better than the other. Now there are pros and cons to them both just like anything else. The only real negative with flourite is it needs thorough cleaning, cleaning that most aren't up for. If you clean it, its just as good. I can deal with flourite not coming with bacteria, a tank will eventually cycle. Some like the look of eco better. This is the visual aspect of the two. I find flourite more natural and more attractive. Eco for me has a few negatives, it cost more for less. Eco comes in a 20lb bag in which some of that is liquid. Flourite comes in a 15.7lb bag, all floruite. Eco is lighter. Can be a pain to plant in. Flourite holds plants fairly well. Unless you get eco from petco, it can be more expensive from what I have seen. Eco also has inconsistent grain sizes. Flourite is all the same grain size. I have also heard complaints about eco lately that not all of it is what its suppose to be.

You can't go wrong with either. If you set up two identical tanks with only the substrate being different, you won't see major differences more than likely.

This is a pretty good post about both.. Technically they are the same. Basically a fired clay product I believe. They both have high Cec rate so they can absorb and release nutrients.

Flourite does need a good rinsing or you have dust issues..

Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got play sand yesterday
The flourite is soo expensive (40$ for a small bag) so ill just get root tabs. Going to try out the sand today in Bubbles tank.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125
Rather then root tabs, why don't you try dirt? MTS or miracle grow organics choice potting mix are both excellent ideas and have LOTS of available nutrients for your plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode