Making substrate in an Iwagumi do interesting things... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Making substrate in an Iwagumi do interesting things...

So, I want to grow some HC in the crevices between rocks, with a large amount of verticality. Any suggestions on how to achieve this?

Examples of what I am talking about below.

(First two are the same aquascaper, lol)

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...tainscape.html

http://www.blueaquarium.org/2011/04/...-peter-kirwan/

A clay based substrate seems really important. Any additional advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

This is how I built a base for a pc of Mopane driftwood in my 40. I wanted to be able to easily remove the driftwood for maint., planting or to catch fish. The Mopane rests on the rock.

Behind it you are looking at a woman's nylon support hose stocking filled with Pea gravel. The support hose is heaver nylon mesh than a regular woman's hose so it is a bit tougher. I used to triple up a regular nylon for strength.

Devin - You could use a few gravel file nylons to build height. Then use your hardscape to build a space for your MTS and cap sand.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post

This is how I built a base for a pc of Mopane driftwood in my 40. I wanted to be able to easily remove the driftwood for maint., planting or to catch fish. The Mopane rests on the rock.

Behind it you are looking at a woman's nylon support hose stocking filled with Pea gravel. The support hose is heaver nylon mesh than a regular woman's hose so it is a bit tougher. I used to triple up a regular nylon for strength.

Devin - You could use a few gravel file nylons to build height. Then use your hardscape to build a space for your MTS and cap sand.
I used your advice (I've seen that pic before) with my current tank, and it worked reasonably well.

This is going to be a little different. Not a slope or hill. I'm going to need to be able to get substrate to stay in cracks or crevices in lace rock. This is a very narrow tank that will be viewable from both sides, so sloping isn't an option.

I'm *thinking* your clay-heavy mix will potentially help lots, but getting a sand cap to stay in place may be a challenge. Maybe liberal use of egg crate...

Thanks for posting it, it was a help with my cube when I set it up! :0

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you look at post #15 on this page:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...inscape-2.html

You will see that he hasn't really made a mound or slope -- He's gotten the substrate to stay.

I'm thinking a dry start will help. This tank will be mostly parva with HC accents on/in the rocks. The hope would be that the MTS will stick nicely in the rock crevices, and then a month+ of dry start will provide sufficient root structure to prevent erosion upon filling.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Looks like a great scape idea.

If I double the Red Clay in my Mix I don't think it would work in your application. I don't even think a Pc of Red Art clay used to make pottery would last very long under water.

1st thought is there anyway to hide a clay pot in the rock work to plant in?

If not, sounds like you might need to fabricate a bowl type/ retaining wall structure between the rocks to hold the MTS.

I'm not sure about Toxicity, there a product avail be at Ace Hardware called Vinyl-crete. It's premixed in a gt, cans. It's basically just what is sounds like Vinyl & Concrete . It sets up in mins. 14 min after set up you can drive a car over it. You could put you hardscape together with it using smaller Pc of rock to fill voids. The stuff can be molded if you work quickly. Dry Cap sand could be worked into the exposed surface.

You might want to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZDexLMZFrU

James Findley has several tanks on you tube that employ some slope/elevations, maybe you'll get an idea there.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks MUCH for that link.

Funny part is he is using the HC almost exactly like I will be. For depth. I am going to have a parva "forest" that comes up to the glass, with HC in the "mountains" in the center.

Larger plant in the foreground with a tiny plant raised above it in the background *should* make for a much bigger sense of depth in a narrow, long tank.

Keeping the rock wool makes lots of sense.

I can shove MTS into the deep part of the crags, and then shove the rockwool right in above it. Mts should provide non-column nutrients over time. Do this at the tops of the crevices, and it will cascade down the crevices as it grows in, and root into the MTS at the bottoms that isnt in near as much danger of sloughing off.

I think that link probably solved my problem!

Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Looks like a great scape idea.

If I double the Red Clay in my Mix I don't think it would work in your application. I don't even think a Pc of Red Art clay used to make pottery would last very long under water.

1st thought is there anyway to hide a clay pot in the rock work to plant in?

If not, sounds like you might need to fabricate a bowl type/ retaining wall structure between the rocks to hold the MTS.

I'm not sure about Toxicity, there a product avail be at Ace Hardware called Vinyl-crete. It's premixed in a gt, cans. It's basically just what is sounds like Vinyl & Concrete . It sets up in mins. 14 min after set up you can drive a car over it. You could put you hardscape together with it using smaller Pc of rock to fill voids. The stuff can be molded if you work quickly. Dry Cap sand could be worked into the exposed surface.

You might want to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZDexLMZFrU

James Findley has several tanks on you tube that employ some slope/elevations, maybe you'll get an idea there.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by larcat View Post
If you look at post #15 on this page:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...inscape-2.html

You will see that he hasn't really made a mound or slope -- He's gotten the substrate to stay.

I'm thinking a dry start will help. This tank will be mostly parva with HC accents on/in the rocks. The hope would be that the MTS will stick nicely in the rock crevices, and then a month+ of dry start will provide sufficient root structure to prevent erosion upon filling.
The OP discusses it in post #23:

"the aquasoil is used aquasoil, it has been used in a few rock scapes already that I have done and it is pretty beaten up at this stage, I mixed it with a gritty type sand to give it more volume, I would say about a third is sand and the rest is aquasoil. It worked really well for this because I realised I would need to pack the mud/soil around the rocks very tightly to make them stay in position, I doubt I could have gotten the hardscape to stay so tight over time (and high) without ruining good aquasoil so I went with this instead."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

As you can see most of the HC is growing on rock with very little substrate, so the choice of substrate is unimportant. It is also interesting to note he is running 5 watts per gallon/ light...very intensive light by anyones standards. It is the light that allows you to grow HC in this manner. Without intensive light, HC does not grow well on wood or rock unless the water is very shallow.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode