All you dirty people out there... ;) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
All you dirty people out there... ;)

I'm looking at a new substrate for my tank which currently has play sand. I'm on a budget (who isn't!) so though I'd love to be able to fill it with Eco Complete or the like, I just don't have £100 to spend. (Tank footprint dimensions are 15" by 38")I could do silica sand but I quite approve of the idea that plants like dirt so am thinking of trying a dirt tank capped with silica maybe? I don't know. What do you guys suggest?

I should suggest that my tank is actually quite tall so lighting is always going to be a challenge so the more nutritious my substrate the better I'm guessing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Go for it!, you could cap with silica sand or small grain pea gravel.

Not sure if its available in the UK but if you could find "Miracle Gro Organic Choice potting Mix" using it is one of the easiest ways to go dirty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Dirt (MGOPS) capped with sand & gravel is all I use.

current:

| retired:

|

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
What's so special about miracle grow

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyTR View Post

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

nothing really other than the ORGANIC version has chicken poop instead of cow dung.. And its readily available.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Sadly the Miracle Grow Organic doesn't seem to be available over here. Should I just try and find another good quality potting mix? What should I look for?
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Any dirt will work.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Get top soil, avoid woodchips, perilite, foam etc, anything light that will float off. You can siphon through it before you add it in.

current:

| retired:

|
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Go MTS and cap it with anything you want.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
If you just want to add soil straight into the tank, you may want to use one of the soils listed at the bottom of this page:

http://theaquariumwiki.com/Walstad_method

You may also want to check out the journals from people in the UK in the tank journal or low tech sections of these forums like Tom's Bucket O' Mud to see what they used.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

topsoil or potting mix will be fine

Look for chicken poo instead of cow poo.
Look to be sure it's organic (doesn't have added chemical fertilizers)

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyTR View Post

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
I like it because of the same reasons everyone else has said plus unlike some other dirt substrates, like MTS, there is not time or mixing of materials involved.

You just pick out the big woody bits, scoop it into the tank, cap, plant, done.

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

That's what I did with my cheap dirt.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
Go MTS and cap it with anything you want.
MTS?
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by InannaMoon View Post
MTS?
The sticky on top of this thread

https://plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=152027

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode