How much do i need? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
How much do i need?

How do i determine how much substrate i would need based on tank dimensions? It's a 50 gallon with a 36x18 footprint. Would 40lbs be enough for a 2.5" depth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Really depends on the substrate you're interested in using.

TPT has a substrate calculator that will help with a few substrates. But there are several other calculators on the internet that can help you determine others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's eco-complete and holy cow. 90lbs is a lot

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

BTW: thumbs up for the 502. I lived in Fairdale for 5 years.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 12:34 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

Sounds about right on the Eco-Complete front. It's heavy stuff. If you're concerned about weight, there are pretty solid options that weigh less.

A single bag of EC weighs 20lbs.

The 502 is a hot box at the moment! 103 + humid as I type this. Looking at 105-107 tomorrow.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Eh, weight isn't so much of an issue, just the shipping price i'm going to see with that much weight. EC runs about $40 a bag at LFS' around here so it's a toss up as far as cost goes between online and buying locally.

Is that 105'F including the heat index? It's funny because Colorado is called the high desert and heat index doesn't exist here. Hardly any humidity. We've been having 100'F+ temps for about 5 weeks straight. Add some idiot starting wildfires and it's been a disastrous season.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 12:50 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

$40?! I have two bags for sale in the Power Sellers section (not trying to sell it to you, as you'll need way more and will get a better deal buying it all at once and having it shipped) for $15 each.

You should be able to get it for about $18 per bag and have it all shipped for about half that per bag (when buying it all at once) from several retailers.

Here are the prices I found as I was determining my price, which may help you figure out where to look:

Pet Mountain $18.21
Big Al's $22.99
Amazon prices start at $19.99
PetStore.com $19.99
Pet Solutions $24.99
That Pet Place $19.79
Doctors Foster & Smith $18.69

Some of those places will give you free shipping for spending $75-$100.

(Nope, no heat index included. I don't want to know what that is this week.)

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the tip. I'm liking what i'm seeing at Dr Foster's and Smith. I got 5 bags shipped for under $100. That free shipping was a huge relief. Plus free shipping on anything over $49. That's a great deal.

I do not miss that humidity one bit! But the rain was nice. We're getting our first good rain storm tonight in the past 2 months.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Petco had eco for 17.99 per bag with free shipping for orders over 49.00. I added it to my cart to be sure it qualified for free shipping. It does.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode