How do I keep the substrate clean - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
How do I keep the substrate clean

How would I keep the substrate clean?
I've noticed when I performed a water change in my 20 gal long tank and the new water moves the substrate I see alot of what I assume is waste from the shrimp/otos/snails swirling around.
I thought the plants were suppose to deal with the waste.
Now I have this substrate cleaner that I attach to an air pump and it's suppose to suck up the waste, But what I'm guessing that would be harder to do with planted tanks especially with carpet plants.
I want to eventually get a carpet plant growing and seeing how my current plants have not gotten rid of the waste I want to know how others have dealt with this problem.
The substrate i'm currently using is "AquariumPlants.com Substrate" I used to have Eco Complete and had the same problem too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Are you familiar with a gravel vac? These are basically fat pipes that you connect to a piece of vinyl tubing and via suction you "vacuum" the substrate, which will remove the fish poop.

Normally in normally stocked tanks these things fall through the cracks, get processed by various organisms and with time turn into plant food. Also, if you have a dense ground cover their should not be a problem.

In normally filtered tanks the floaters get sucked up and filtered out.

You might want to slow down your refilling during water changes. Many ways to do that without causing a sand storm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Are you familiar with a gravel vac? These are basically fat pipes that you connect to a piece of vinyl tubing and via suction you "vacuum" the substrate, which will remove the fish poop.

Normally in normally stocked tanks these things fall through the cracks, get processed by various organisms and with time turn into plant food. Also, if you have a dense ground cover their should not be a problem.

In normally filtered tanks the floaters get sucked up and filtered out.

You might want to slow down your refilling during water changes. Many ways to do that without causing a sand storm.
Yeah that's what it's called I have a gravel vac that hooks up to the air pump.

So with carpet plants I shouldn't have a problem with the fish poop?

Usually when I refill the tank I fill it through the filter and that helps though I do forget to do that sometimes

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Bring the gravel vac about 3" from the substrate and swirl it around to pick up and debris on top of the substrate. Most of it will still be there for the plants.

Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmia22 View Post
Bring the gravel vac about 3" from the substrate and swirl it around to pick up and debris on top of the substrate. Most of it will still be there for the plants.
Okay that's a good idea thanks.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you want to vacuum that substrate deeper, be careful. It is very light, and will get sucked up into the vacuum quite easily.
I only vacuum it if I am moving the tank, tearing it down.

Most of the time I do as Calmoa suggests: Keep the vacuum away from the substrate so the substrate does not move, and just get close enough to the plants to remove the obvious debris. If you are touching the plants with the vacuum, and the leaves are not in danger, that is OK. Otherwise brush through the plants with your fingers to dislodge the debris, and vacuum it from a distance.

Another way is to make the flow slower, usually by pinching the outflowing water tube.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/83%)
What I do is use the net to make little vortex's in the water with a net, small enough so that the debris flies up then I catch and remove with said net.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobystanton View Post
What I do is use the net to make little vortex's in the water with a net, small enough so that the debris flies up then I catch and remove with said net.
With the gravel vac?

Tags
cleaning, substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode