Filter making craters in substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Filter making craters in substrate

I just set up a new 20L (thanks petco 1$/gallon) with ADA Amazonia New. Got the wood & substrate in and after the tank cleared I started my filter, but it is making a crater infront of it. The tank is a cheap petco 400gph hob filter, there is no settings on it that i can see to change the water flow. Should I just downgrade my filter or will it eventually stop? I'm planning on a dwarf hairgrass carpet through the whole tank should I just start planting and the roots will solidify the substrate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 05:35 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can try adjusting the water level in the tank...higher water level might send the water out more horizontally...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
water is already almost to the top. Level is right above the bottom of the black rim.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 05:37 AM
Planted Member

Is the water level lower then the output edge the drop can cuase the craters. You can put filter floss in the output end to slow down the flow.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 06:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)
Be careful with blocking the output on a HOB filter. If it's pumping in more water than it can dispense, it'll eventually overflow out the back, onto the floor. It's not the same as a canister, where input is dependent on output...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have an AC50 on my 20L that I've baffled using a plastic bottle. Just google hob filter baffle and you'll find multiple posts describing how to do it. The plastic bottle pushes the current out to the sides instead of allowing it to dig into the substrate.

Depending on how strong the flow is, you may be able to rubberband a piece of filter sponge to the front instead. I use that on my AC20 in my 5g betta tank...I cut an aquaclear sponge in half longways so that it was half as thick as normal and just rubberband it to the front. I keep the AC20 running full blast, but the water runs through the sponge and causes almost no current in the tank.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Either put a spong on the intake or put a stiif plant bunch, rock or log of wood in front of the overflow of the filter.

On one hang on filter, i moved the bio mesh from inside the box to onto the spill out.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
I've used plastic as a baffle to calm strong flow from HOB filters. All I did was use some strong black plastic (cut from TV dinner tray!) and clip it so it was directly in the line of the outflow. That redirected the outflow to the back and sides. You can cut groves or holes in it to allow some water to move forward. The main thing is to obstruct the water flow direction without obstructing the water output.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have placed hardscape items in the path where the strongest water flow hits the substrate, and it takes a little bit of arranging, but it does work.

I have used a strip of plastic on the outlet (with electrical tape) to divert the flow to a more horizontal angle. In a narrow tank that simply moved the divot to right at the front. So I put a rock there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode