Finding Cream Color Pool Filter Sand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Mxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Finding Cream Color Pool Filter Sand?

I'm trying to find a decent medium size/pool filter size quartz/silica sand which is a nice light cream color.

The white sand I've seen looks a bit unnatural for my purposes, and the other sand I've seen a bit too dark or are not inert and would raise the PH.

Does anyone know where to order such a thing? I can't find anything close in pool filter supply stores here and don't mind shipping it from overseas. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Mxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had heard one recommendation for this one in any case. http://www.clemcal.com/Page.asp?id=96
But not being there I can't exactly inspect it myself, and I only require about 15 pounds while they sell it in bags of 100.

Leslie's pool filter sand varies from region to region, so that's a difficult thing for me to order without a local reference!...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Have you tried looking in places that sell rock, gravel, sand and similar materials for masonry or landscape use?
On this side of the pond these are very large stores that sell these materials by the truckload or by the bag. Some of them have graded sand in many sizes and colors.

I have no idea if this is available to you, but look up Pebbletek. This is a material that is added to the finish of swimming pools to make them colorful. If there are any swimming pool contractors (builders) near you, ask them. There may be a similar material with a different name. It is sand-like in size, inert, and quite dense, so it stays down well in the tank. It is available in many colors.

There is a company over here that supplies the masonry yards with graded sand in bags. It is called Lapis Lustre.

I hope some of these names are helpful to you, if not to get some of their materials, perhaps to ask about similar, locally available materials.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 02:53 AM
Algae Grower

I've bought 4 bags of Leslies Pool filter sand and 3 bags of Home Depot Pool filter sand(Pavestone is the mfg). Leslie's is a big mix of white, tan, black, and brown, the HD sand is all one tone of a camel tan color. So for a Amazonian tank, the HD sand would be the best, but if you were doing all sand, the Leslie's looks cool if your going for a river scheme and want the variety of color.

125 Gallon Dirted/Fully Planted Community Tank
55 Gallon Amazon Tiger Barb Tank
29 Gallon CRS Shrimp Tank
20 Gallon Yellow Neo Tank
20 Gallon Half Moon Amazon Serpea Tank.
10 Gallon Blue Velvet Neo's
10 Gallon Betta/Cherry Neo Tank
10 Gallon Betta Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 04:11 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (24/100%)
Leslie's Pool Supply used to carry the cream colored sand in 40 pound bags. The bags were clear with Red & Blue writing. I haven't been in there for several years....I haven't needed more sand.

See the tank in my sig- I have 200+ pounds in my 180. It's not glaring white and looks a bit more natural.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have 1 bag of Akadama Double Red Line Medium still available....PM me.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Mxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I do hear that Leslie's sand varies considerably in color from region to region though. Judging just by responses here, it is camel color in NC and cream color in NY...

However, huge monkey wrench in my plans! I just founds that the USPS discontinued their surface international mail a few years back, and so now a 50 lb bag would cost me $300 to ship here! Anyone travelling to London that wants to bring me a suitcase full of sand??? Actually I'd only need 15 lbs just to do my small tank.

The only pool filter sand I could find here was practically orange colored. Would it be so bad to resort to using an inch play sand instead as a topping to MTS?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Mxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think I may have found what I'm looking for. I found some horticultural sand, which is apparently graded to about 0.5 millimeters in size to allow for sufficiently free drainage. So it's similar to pool filter sand, and therefore should admit some current as necessary while being of an attractive small size. I've ordered a sample to check the colour, but apparently it's a white enough and sufficiently uniform sand that they're also supplying the sand for the Olympic Beach Volleyball Tournament!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode