MTS w/ Dirt & Sand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
MTS w/ Dirt & Sand

Is it recommended to use malaysian trumpet snails with dirt capped with sand? I feel like the snails will bring the dirt to the surface.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie
Yes, you should. They aerate the soil and do not disturb roots. The amount of good they do outweighs the bad.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 03:53 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
No, you should not. They'll take over the tank even without overfeeding. They hide in the substrate and multiply to huge numbers before you even know it. The roots from the plants aerate the soil just fine.

Now you have both sides of the argument. All the rest of the replies will pretty much be the same as these first two. The point being, some recommend it, some do not for various reasons.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 05:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I like em, if you have loaches they'll love em

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Some Loaches learn to eat them. The shells of MTS are too strong for most fish (Even Puffers), but smart fish learn to suck the meat out of the shell. Then you have a lot of MTS shells scattered on the floor of the tank.

I have MTS in all my tanks, but have not done a soil substrate, so I do not know how much mixing they would do.

Would that be MTS squared? Malaysian Trumpet Snails in Mineralized Top Soil?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I think the algae eating benefits out weigh the "Icky" factor.

I also have Red Ramshorns. I have never seen a population problem with them in my tanks. Breeding is directly related to food source, no real mystery, limit food reduce the snail population.

I cull my adult MTS occasionally. I drop in a sinking pellet or algae wafer and net out some adults. I also cull out brown ramshorns. I have one tank with loaches and they make quick work of them.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 04:26 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Breeding is directly related to food source, no real mystery, limit food reduce the snail population.
This is a myth. MTS eat fish poop among other things.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I have MTS in all my tanks...

Would that be MTS squared? Malaysian Trumpet Snails in Mineralized Top Soil?
Cubed, since you obviously suffer from More Tanks Syndrome.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
This is a myth. MTS eat fish poop among other things.

I'm talking about ALL food sources NOT just uneaten fish food.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I'm talking about ALL food sources NOT just uneaten fish food.
I understand. So please tell me how you prevent MTS from getting fish poop in a large tank with a large stock of fish. You have to feed the fish, and the fish will excrete poop. Poop is a food source for MTS.

If the way to control MTS is to restrict all food sources, then how does a person restrict fish poop?

Unless the suggestion is to get rid of some of the fish to reduce the amount of fish poop. So then you'd have a large tank with just a few fish for what? To keep the MTS numbers down? Then why even bother having a large tank? Seems to be a huge waste.

It's one thing to keep the food source down on a small tank with a small fish load, but it just cannot be done with a large tank... not if you actually like having fish in the tank.

Therefore, I maintain what I said. It is a myth that "simply controlling food sources reduces MTS population" as a general statement.

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
If you want population control get a few assassin snails. In hind sight I would not have gone with MTS, I would much rather have a few nerites and replace them every 2 years since they're much more manageable. Right now I throw out about ~200 snails a month.

current:

| retired:

|
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I love my malaysian trumpet snails. My multiple tank syndrome is more my problem.

My MTS only come out at night and eat leftover food on substrate and glass.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 12:40 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExCalibur View Post
Is it recommended to use malaysian trumpet snails with dirt capped with sand? I feel like the snails will bring the dirt to the surface.
MTS won't bother an MTS tank, just had to do that. You can have the MTSnails in an MTSoil tank no matter the cap. However, I will warn you that eventually you will have a pile of empty shells from the die off of the snails. The population will get so huge that you won't be feeding them all enough with fishfood leftovers. Getting those shells out of the tank without bringing the substrate with them is a PITA. You do not need them to aerate the substrate. Nerites are better for keeping the glass and such "clean" between your cleanings, and they rarely, if ever, manage to reproduce in a freshwater aquarium.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMurphy View Post
However, I will warn you that eventually you will have a pile of empty shells from the die off of the snails. The population will get so huge that you won't be feeding them all enough with fishfood leftovers. Getting those shells out of the tank without bringing the substrate with them is a PITA. You do not need them to aerate the substrate.
+1 +1 +1

I am in the process of changing out the substrate in all my tanks to get rid of MTS snails. They've accumulated over the years to a population I can't stand anymore. I was lulled into thinking they were fine for a long time because they remained hidden in the substrate, but eventually I started seeing them out of the substrate. So I added loaches to control them. Well, they did that, but then I ended up with a bunch of empty shells everywhere, and it's truly impossible to get them all out. So I've had no choice but to completely replace my substrate.

Now I'm filling my tanks with assassin snails to get rid of any MTS that may inadvertently get back in my tanks. It's been an all out war to get rid of the MTS. What originally seemed like such a good idea has turned into a nightmare, and I'm seeing more and more people who have kept tanks for a long time feel the same way. I no longer recommend MTS to anyone. They are the worst pest snail imaginable.

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired

Last edited by Complexity; 07-06-2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: to make an edit

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode