Frozen mud balls, any experience? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Frozen mud balls, any experience?

I was using only PFS, then I converted 2 of my tanks to MTS capped with PFS. I'm now about to set up a 55 gallon and am going with just PFS. The dirt is way to messy and I moved things around more than I anticipated I would. I am thinking about making mud balls with some of the MTS and adding some clay to them, freezing them and using those in the areas where I have heavy root feeders. I haven't used this method before, but I have heard of frozen mud balls and I thought the addition of the clay would keep it together in the water. Am I living in a dream world thinking this will actually work?
Also, I have some dolomite and potash left over from the previous conversions, are those things that I should only have in the dirt or is there a benefit to adding them in capsules under the sand near roots?
Other than the standard root tabs or osmocote tabs, any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

No need to, use gel capsule.
Fill the baby up with mts and use it where ur root plant need them.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

good to know, thanks!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I tried this but its hard to get enough water around the soil to where it doesn't break up at all, assuming your tank is filled. If you drained it, it would be even easier.

I would say gel caps would be better for 2 reasons. First, you know it's going to stay in the gel cap while you push it in. Second, it will be easier to put small amounts in. It's hard to make really small amounts of frozen soil and still have it keep together.

You can even buy this now, not endorsing the product or anything, never used it, just thought it was interesting that it took so long to be sold- https://plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=170935

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

where are the gel caps for sale? I am sure I can find it but I haven't had time to look yet. I will be draining a tank that has soil in it now, so I thought it wouldn't be too hard to make a ball, but I haven't tried it and I am wrong most of the time, so I think, as you suggested, the capsules would be more suited

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode