20 Long tank substrate help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
20 Long tank substrate help

I got a 20 long with the $1 a gallon sale and I am thinking about using it as a shrimp tank. I also want to plant the tank though because I am not 100% interested in breeding my shrimp.

What is the difference between Fluval shrimp stratum and Fluval plant stratum?

Should I get either or should I get UP aqua shrimp sand or ADA aquasoil?

Where can I find aquasoil?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Bump

|
|
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have not used the Fluval products.

Some of the ADA products produce ammonia for a long time (several weeks to a month) after they are submerged. This is a great way to do a fishless cycle. You can plant right away. Then monitor the conditions to be sure the substrate has not removed all the carbonates from the water. The growing bacteria need carbonates, and some substrates will remove the KH from the water.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Floramax or Ecocomplete work well. They've been on sale with free shipping lately.

Steve

:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado View Post
Floramax or Ecocomplete work well. They've been on sale with free shipping lately.
I was leaning more towards an aquatic soil. But I went ahead and got a 16.7lbs bag of Fluval plant stratum. I have heard it is a lot more sturdy than ADA aquasoil. It should be here tomorrow.

|
|
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Keep in mind that you'll need to fertilize with Fluval Plant Stratum, as it's not really a nutrient-rich substrate.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Keep in mind that you'll need to fertilize with Fluval Plant Stratum, as it's not really a nutrient-rich substrate.
Yep, got that all planned out!

|
|
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Ecocomplete and Floramax have just as good CEC as FPS does. None of them are as complete as the often hard to get ADA AS substrates. It's all good if you use WC and/or substrate ferts. Plants grow as long as they get what they need.

Steve

:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.

Tags
20 gallon, shrimp, substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode