MGOCPS Depth questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
MGOCPS Depth questions

Roughing out my hardscape idea and I ran into a problem I hadn't thought of

In theory the MGOCPS is supposed to be even with the top of both of these rocks. The taller rock would mean a 6" deep dirt substrate.

Can I insert perforated straws or tubing into the substrate to avoid anaerobic conditions forming? I have a feeling they would just fill up with debris. I would like to do something other than poking with a stick every so often. I return to school FT this fall as well as working FT plus family time so anyway I can streamline maintenance is a bonus.

Thoughts? Ideas? Any comments welcome!

~Kelli

So its clear, the MGOCPS will be capped with the same gravel in the lower part of the pic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/91%)
What is mgocps
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 01:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Soil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 01:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli View Post
Roughing out my hardscape idea and I ran into a problem I hadn't thought of

In theory the MGOCPS is supposed to be even with the top of both of these rocks. The taller rock would mean a 6" deep dirt substrate.

Can I insert perforated straws or tubing into the substrate to avoid anaerobic conditions forming? I have a feeling they would just fill up with debris. I would like to do something other than poking with a stick every so often. I return to school FT this fall as well as working FT plus family time so anyway I can streamline maintenance is a bonus.

Thoughts? Ideas? Any comments welcome!

~Kelli

So its clear, the MGOCPS will be capped with the same gravel in the lower part of the pic.
I'm not sure you could do much if you wanted all soil there, except poking at it, or adding something to it to keep it from clumping. As long as its not packed tightly, you should be ok. In theory, you wouldn't want any soil under those big rocks eithers for the same reason. You could add some deep rooting plants on that particular area to break into it, as well as some MTS to keep burrow.

However, a better idea may to be use a ledge. Lots use Styrofoam or something similar, chop it into a block to raise the area up significantly, and then simply soil the last inch or so. You would keep the block in place with aquarium safe silicone.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickerie View Post
In theory, you wouldn't want any soil under those big rocks eithers for the same reason.
No worries there, the rocks are sitting on the glass. The bottoms are pretty flat so while some soil will get under there I would estimate less than a teaspoon under each rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickerie View Post
a better idea may to be use a ledge. Lots use Styrofoam or something similar, chop it into a block to raise the area up significantly, and then simply soil the last inch or so. You would keep the block in place with aquarium safe silicone.
A ledge sounds perfect! If I hollow out an area for dirt I can silicon the gravel/sand mix to the outside edge and it will solve my other issue with holding a sharp edge in the design. Perfect!

Thanks!

~Kelli
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli View Post

Thanks!

~Kelli
Lol no problem. You can make some pretty elaborate designs this way, including river bed flows, etc.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode