Substrate advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Substrate advice

I have just set up a 2 gallon tank with eco complete with future plans to house shrimp in the tank. My current stocking plans involve mostly mosses but also some microsword and/or pygmy chain. I am having second thoughts about just going with ecocomplete after looking through newmans thread (btw if newman ever reads this thread do you post on nanoreef...). Anyway I am wondering if it is a good idea to rip up the substrate and either add Miracle grow or laterite (both?) and then replacing the ecocomplete. I have been unable to find any really good information on the specifics of using dirt and I am a little nervous since this will be my first go around with shrimp as well.

From what Ive seen most people either just add the miracle grow or boil it a couple times and then add it. Is this accurate? I have also read about MTS but it seems like a pain to get all the ingredients together so that is a no go. Will the moss I have in there survive through the initial "dirting" of the tank? Sorry for so many questions!

edit

I should add that I dont plan on dosing water column ferts and from what I've experienced seachem root tabs are pretty junky so I dont think it will be enough to keep microsword or pygmy chain alive.

edit 2

Continued reading and found laterite is poo poo. Pls just comment on Top soil

edit 3

I guess adding dirt is called the walstad method...I am definitely going to dirt this tank but am going to need crushed coral because my pH is 6.4 out of the tap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
I'm fairly certain you do not want to boil Miracle Gro. If you are going to use it, make sure it's Miracle Gro Organic Potting Mix. You may want to spread it out for a day to air out any built up gas. You are also going to need a good cap for it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode