Seachem Flourite - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Seachem Flourite

Hey guys, I have kept fresh water tanks for years before switching to salt and I have had some tanks with a decent amount of plants but never used any decent substrate and the plants slowly melted away over time. My new reef is almost complete as far as hardware goes so I figured I would dive back in to the fresh world with a planted tank or two, or three...or...well, lets take it one step at a time I guess lol.

Anyways, I have some Seachem Flourite and I am wonder if that is fine by itself or are people usually mixing it with something or doing a separate layer of something else covered by the flourite? I have a TON of nutrients that I also need to learn about using correctly and am considering co2 and LEDs but I am not positive yet. Was thinking about starting out with an Evolve 8 but that may change to a basic glass rimless cube with a fluval 106 or 206. This is supposed to be a budget build but we will see where it goes. I am going to try to barter and trade for stuff I need from people in my area if possible. Thanks guys!

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Flourite only can work. Take a look a the dirt tanks people are doing. Very interesting stuff. If I were starting a new tank from scratch I'd do dirt capped with something. If I were you and had a bag of flourite handy anyway I'd probably do dirt capped with that.

But at my LFS they said...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
I used flourite exclusively for most of my planted tank keeping. Just recently switched to ADA which rocks, but I'd still use flourite too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys! I was actually looking at the dirt tanks last night. We had to pick up some potting soil for some house plants so I think I will do that capped with the flourite. Now to decide if I want to see the layers or make a barrier of flourite and have the dirt in the center and then cap with flourite.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am curious, what do you guys think about the flourite capped with pool filter sand? I have used pool filter sand in other tanks and like it but my main reason this time is for my HC. I would almost rather have dark substrate but I am torn as to which direction I want to take.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Flourite should work fine for HC. You can cap with PFS but be aware that as you plant and especially unplant, there will be some mixing going on, with the PFS working its way down and some Flourite particles coming to surface.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Wasserpest! I don't mind the mixing, that is actually why I was thinking about this instead of using dirt. If you the HC will do fine on the flourite I may just stuck to that, I was told the grain size may be a little too big for the HC so I was just having doubts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Algae Grower

Update with pictures of your tank if its working out okay because im currently in your dilemma as well. I want to do a dirt but i changed to sand and I love the look of layers, but being a woman, I always change my mind :p

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode