Best Sand to use? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best Sand to use?

Whatís up guys
So Iím looking to do a complete overhaul of my existing 15H tank. I want to change my substrate and replace it with nicer looking sand. What do the pros use? I want a good looking substrate system that will make my plants go nut and that will look nice. Any information is much appreciated. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Algae Grower

I've heard of people using both pool filter sand and play sand as they both are pretty cheap. I don't know if that is what the professionals use and I'm not sure if it has much benefit to your plants but overall I think it looks nice and you can't beat the price of it at around $5-10 for a 50 lbs bag.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
The sand used for mixing with cement is best I think. I've used pool filter sand and play sand, both are fine grains and don't look very natural in my opinion. The cement sand has grains of broken up rocks and what not and it looks very much like a river bottom compared to plain bleach white pfs.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Whatever sand coloration you decide to go with, get a larger-grained, higher density PFS from a pool supply store. Don't be tempted to get play sand from a big box store, even though it may be less expensive.
They're usually very dusty, dirty, and gritty, requiring many good rinses. They're finer grained, of lesser density than PFS, tend to free-float into the water column when disturbed, and can easily clog up your filter impeller assemblies. They are also readily siphoned up when vacuuming, which a good quality PFS will not do.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I have only used sand in Nanos. I like horticultural sand you get a a plant nursery. It doesn't have any advantages over any other sand, nor does it contain nutrients. I just think it looks better. I don't know if they sell big bags but it's not the cheapest option, even for a nano, not that it's expensive, it's expensive for sand. Gain size is a bit courser as well, which I think is a good thing.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I have a tank full of ADA Sarawak sand fery nice stuff, it's a larger size and good color its a little more expensive though

Len

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Lots of choices, all inert sand is basically the same. Some are dustier than others. It gets down to color and how hard you want to work at cleaning it.

I've used Black Diamond, construction sand from a local gravel pit now I use Sakrete all purpose sand
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Sand (any sort) has no nutrient holding ability. If you are looking for a better product to help the plants skip the sand. Go for something with good cationic exchange capacity. The soil from your garden might work. Then you could cap it with sand if you want that look.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode