The Planted Tank Forum banner

Totally new to substrate set up. Thoughts?

620 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  talontsiawd 
#1 ·
Alright, I'm still collecting my equipment and looking for just the right hardscape materials. So, I've begun to think about what substrate things I'd like to work with. I've seen some pretty fine grain, super light colored (white really) sand that I'd like for the viewable portion of my tank. I'm going to mix this with some bigger light colored stones.

As for the very bottom nutrient rich layer for the plants to grow roots into I'm somewhat at a loss. I do want to get something that will be an effective nutrient base and yet not too crazy expensive. I would like some very small plants once things get up and running, so I think it needs to be fairly fine. Also I want the sand to be super light, so I don't want something that's black mixing over time. If anyone has advice about this I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Em

#2 ·
Anything with nutrients will have a larger grain (compared to sand) and ultimately the sand will mix into the larger grains so you won't have seperate layers. No matter how light the sand is (can't be too light or your filter will suck it up) it will be mixed evenly. I would check out the Substrate Pros/Cons list to help you narrow down your choices, but I wouldn't have a sand cap. I would instead use flourite or some other inert cap with larger grains.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/substrate/153412-substrate-choices-pros-cons.html

#3 ·
People cap Mineralized Top Soil (MTS) with pool sand. If it's only a small portion of the tank, like something you section off, you can use a plexy glass divider so your substrates don't mix. I wouldn't use MTS under the sand if it's a small portion of the tank, just because some will likely get mixed.

It's really challenging to mix substrates long term. The finest grain will sink to the bottom. The bottom stuff will get pulled up as you pull up old plants. Eventually some will mix, possibly a lot, depending on some factors. I only cap MTS or potting soil because you basically have to (you don't but it can be much more messy and introduce to many nutrients in a newly setup tank) or mix substrates if I want a variety of color (usually reds or browns with black).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.