Substrate mix on a budget - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Substrate mix on a budget

OK, I've read enough threads on substrate to make my eyeballs bleed. Most of them end up talking about layering the substrate.

My issue with layering my substrate is more one of clumsyness etc. I tend to move my plants around until I get them to just the "right" location to my liking, and in the process, end up dislodging some of the deeper substrates.

I like the idea of the really cheap kitty litter being high CEC. Instead of doing some sort of capping, I was wondering what people thought of just completely mixing it with some sort of pool filter sand or something similar.

I plan to do a 40 breeder on a severe budget as a challenge to myself. I got the lighting (4xT5HO) used from ebay, and will just steal CO2 from my existing setup byt adding another needle valve, bubble counter. I will be populating it with plant trimmings that I take from my 75 gallon tank, and will house probably 4 angelfish in it that I get from a really good breeder that I have found locally.

Anyway, back to my original point. The options I am thinking about are as follows:
  1. extra cheap kitty litter mixed with pool filter sand of a similar color
  2. just kitty litter alone
  3. kitty litter with MTS (would have to figure a way to mix it so when I distrurb the substrate, I don't get an ugly spot.
Any thoughts?

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
You don't really 'need' to cap kitty litter. Just if you don't want the dull grayish color. I would cap with something larger like flourite, or just use straight up kitty litter to save time/money.

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was going to go with just Pool filter sand, but as I read more about kitty litter and the CEC, I thought it might work better.

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Kitty litter is a no no to me, break down to fast. Worse then safe T sorb
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
What about Turface?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
LOW Budget?

$1.17 40# bag of HomeDepot Tops soil.

Get a hold of Colin, he'll sell you just enough clay, Potash and Dolomite to make your MTS:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sp...ice-match.html

$4.99 nag of Sakrete All purpose sand. I just removed my B;ack Diamoind Cap and replaced it with Sakrete.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 02:12 AM
The Security Dude

PTrader: (116/100%)
Heck use Mirical Grow organtic potting soil, shift out the big wood pieces and then cap with Pool filter sand. Works great I have a 55 Gal planted that grows like wild fire with it

55 Planted Rummys,2 GBR,8 Corys,4 Discus PFR Culls
Many shrimp tanks

Finnex Pimp #8
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
What about Turface?
Where would one find Turface. Looks like it is available in bulk for baseball fields, but I can't seem to find it listed anywhere for retail purchase.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In.a.Box View Post
Kitty litter is a no no to me, break down to fast. Worse then safe T sorb
Does anyone have any experience with Kitty litter breaking down fast, perhaps different brands act differently?

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 05:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
you can find a 50 pound bag of turface at a john deer tractor supply for about $14 that 50 pounds goes a very long way and the cec and color is amazing, also will not compact and isnt as light as litter or the oil dry stuff

Tags
budget, cheapskate, kitty litter, pool filter sand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode