Turface with a cap - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Turface with a cap

I'm thinking about setting up a 55g with turface but I've heard it's very light so I'm thinking about a cap.

I'm thinking about black blasting sand but will sand eventually find its way to the bottom?

Any other recommendations?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've got schultz aps which is apparently the same thing, its obviously not as heavy as sand but I really don't find any issues with its "lightness" unless im blasting it with current or doin my water changes too vigorously by just dumping a pail of water in.

"Do not need anything to block the Seascapes."

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well another main reason I want a cap is because I don't like turface color. I think Shultz stopped making theirs, right?

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Schultz was repackaged Turface, and it is now discontinued.

I've used both the Schultz, and Soilmaster Select (SMS). SMS was a similar product (also discontinued) but seemed a wee bit heavier. I love the stuff, and am holding on to my remaining stock.

But there's someone a half hour away from you looking to trade 15lbs. of it in the "charcoal" color, which is a dark grey, nearly black:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/il...al-anyone.html

It's probably only half of what you'd need for a 55G. But it too could be stretched with something like black sand or Flourite, and you'd have no worries about mixing messing up your color scheme.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks DarkCobra! hopefully he likes my stems. im gonna see if he knows where i can get more too.

if not ill have to decide what to mix with it
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
You don't need to cap turface it isn't that light

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I agree it's not that light that it needs a cap. It also seems lighter at first but once it gets established in thtank it seems to be close to small gravel.

40B, T5HO, Turface, pressurized co2,EI dosing
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)
I think I want to go with Turface in my tank, too. I have found about (what appears to be) ten different products with this name. Is there a specific type that should/shouldn't be used in tanks?

Thanks!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Turface pro league natural or Gray if you like blackish substrate I prefer the tAn/red it's beautiful with plants and good light

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, shrimpNewbie! I ordered a bag of the Heritage Red. We'll see how it turns out! :-)
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The red will slowly lose some color, this takes a very long time, however it stays mostly red, be sure to rinse in a bucket with a very high pressured hose, untill water is clear, it isn't unsafe for fish and plants just makes your tank cloudy if ya dont, you won't regret your decision to use turface, I will use nothing else but aquasoil someday

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 01:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

Excellent! I'm looking forward to trying it out! I have a 5 gallon hex my MIL gave me that I'd like to try it out in. If it works, I'm going to do my 55 gallon with it, too! Do you use plant tabs with it?
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I use osmocote+ works better ime

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

well i am going to pick up a bag of turface today so i can test it out for a while before i set up my 55 gallon. so today ill be changing out my eco complete with it on my 14 gallon. ill post pics if anybody is interested
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm interested in seeing what you do with it

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode