ohhh the mess I made this weekend with my tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
ohhh the mess I made this weekend with my tank

I have dirt tank, capped with sand.

Well I decided to remove 3 of my tiger lotus bulbs. Oh what a mistake that was. My poor fish & tank. I could not even see in the tank. I drained all the water out, moved the fish to temp home, and then re-capped the areas the tiger lotus was pulled from, but dirt all over the tank gravel now. I have done 4 water changes and it still dirty.

Do I need to pull everything out and start over? Thinking if I go that route I would not use dirt again.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Fat Guy In A Little Coat

PTrader: (11/100%)
Might as well start over. If you don't get all the stuff up, you'll hate it everytime you look at your tank. Plus, I think all that stuff on the bottom could eventually harbor an alagae problem. How big of a tank is this? Will it be a major undertaking to start over?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalad View Post
Might as well start over. If you don't get all the stuff up, you'll hate it everytime you look at your tank. Plus, I think all that stuff on the bottom could eventually harbor an alagae problem. How big of a tank is this? Will it be a major undertaking to start over?
Just mostly my time having to move everything out of it. The tank 125. Don't know at this point if it worth going dirt again, maybe better to just go with sand.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Plants may grow better in dirt but i don't think it's worth it with issues like this. Thank the good lord I just went sand and use substrate fert

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

40B - Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~~
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyTR View Post
Plants may grow better in dirt but i don't think it's worth it with issues like this. Thank the good lord I just went sand and use substrate fert

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
I think if I redo, I will just use the black diamond from local Tractor store. Did you use real sand from LFS?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
When moving / uprooting plants w/ large root systems in soil substrate tanks, you need to first turn off the filter(s). If you do this and then carefully remove the plants, doing your best to pull the plants straight up, you can let the soil settle and it won't be blown all over your tank. Then, you can vacuum the gravel / sand to remove any uprooted soil in your tank.

In an established tank, the soil should settle relatively quickly (~30 minutes or so) due to biofilms - In new tanks, the soil won't settle as fast so it's important to set up soil tanks correctly.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Did you go with MTS or MGOPS? When I had MGOPS every time I moved anything I had a huge mess. Since going with MTS I can move even the largest crypts with only a slight puff of dirt. Just a heads up.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
Did you go with MTS or MGOPS? When I had MGOPS every time I moved anything I had a huge mess. Since going with MTS I can move even the largest crypts with only a slight puff of dirt. Just a heads up.

I went with the Miracle Grow, capped with sand. Some of the roots were 2 feet long.

I did have filters off. I pulled up the bulbs and the dirt would not stop, within a min the tank was so full dirt, I could not see anything.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

I used petco brand white sand.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

40B - Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~~
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

[QUOTE=nilocg;1881606]Did you go with MTS or MGOPS? When I had MGOPS every time I moved anything I had a huge mess. Since going with MTS I can move even the largest crypts with only a slight puff of dirt. Just a heads up.[/QUOTE

The acronyms on this site can be really tough to slog through at times.

I work for a teeny-tiny element of a huge corporation and we get emails from "the mother ship" every so often that will have all of us rolling in the aisles, crying in tears laughing at all the acronyms they use.

So about all I know is:
MTS = Malaysian trumpet snails or multiple tank syndrome (guilty, big-time).

But MGOPS?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

[QUOTE=Bushkill;1881623]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
Did you go with MTS or MGOPS? When I had MGOPS every time I moved anything I had a huge mess. Since going with MTS I can move even the largest crypts with only a slight puff of dirt. Just a heads up.[/QUOTE

The acronyms on this site can be really tough to slog through at times.

I work for a teeny-tiny element of a huge corporation and we get emails from "the mother ship" every so often that will have all of us rolling in the aisles, crying in tears laughing at all the acronyms they use.

So about all I know is:
MTS = Malaysian trumpet snails or multiple tank syndrome (guilty, big-time).

But MGOPS?
Ha I had no idea either, figured it was just best to say what I have in the tank.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Fat Guy In A Little Coat

You're almost right, in this case: MTS= mineralized topsoil MGOPS= miracle grow organic potting soil
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Fat Guy In A Little Coat

I'll just throw this out there, I have a dirted 65 gallon. Its high tech, I did not notice a significant jump in growth until I started EI dosing. If you are low tech or have a lot of heavy root feeders, dirt is great. Hind sight is 20/20 so for me looking back now I would probably go with an inert gravel or possibly safe t sorb. Just my 2 pennies
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalad View Post
I'll just throw this out there, I have a dirted 65 gallon. Its high tech, I did not notice a significant jump in growth until I started EI dosing. If you are low tech or have a lot of heavy root feeders, dirt is great. Hind sight is 20/20 so for me looking back now I would probably go with an inert gravel or possibly safe t sorb. Just my 2 pennies

Thanks for the info. My tank is high tech, and do have fair amount of root feeders.

I have no problem going with Root tabs, and I already do EI dosing.

So are you saying you would skip the dirt with my setup?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Fat Guy In A Little Coat

I would skip the dirt, just keep the root tabs replenished every other month and keep dosing EI. High tech tank with stems and root feeders, my experience showed me that the stems will go bonkers and soon your root feeders will be overshadowed. Then you want to move some of those root feeders and bam, you have a situation similar to what happened to you. This is just my opinion though. Research your options and stick to whatever predetermined budget you have. If you have no budget then buy about 80lbs of aquasoil, lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode