Sand over Miracle Grow (noob) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sand over Miracle Grow (noob)

Tried a planted tank about 7 years ago, bombed out and moved to reef tanks where I was until about 8 months ago.

Moved and decided to ditch all my tanks and now I am leaning towards trying a planted again.

Of course I would like to start "easy" with a low tech tank and I am thinking about using a 40 breeder I already have. Now that the little intro is out of the way on to the question.

I have been reading about using Miracle Grow topped in pool filter sand and find it interesting and probably something I wouldn't mind trying.

Generally how much of each (thickness) would you use?

Anything to look out for? Not to get?

How you do plan the new plants? In the sand and not through it to the soil correct?

Sorry for the noob questions, first time I've been back on the site since 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Such a popular substrate yet my attempt ended in lots of gas pockets, I would go with mineralized topsoil if you're interested in using a rich substrate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
What kind of sand?(Post a picture)

Some sand is very fine(white play sand) and pool sand is coarser.

Denitrification is usually heavier in sand capped soils, so expect significantly more/larger gas bubbles when substrate is disturbed. It might become more toxic (hydrogen sulfide gases) also with less pwrhead circulation.

I'd personally experiment with a 2:1 cap/soil ratio to hasten cycling and clearer water for fish/plant introduction.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using Miracle Gro

Hello nan...

Not a noob question. The organic potting mixture is a good nutrient, but very messy. I tried it in a small tank to find out how it would work and it really didn't very well.

It could work if you layed down no more than in inch on the bottom and then topped it with a fairly thick layer of a somewhat finer substrate. I would do all the planting prior to filling the tank if at all possible and filling is very tricky. A mistake during the filling process and you'll have floating debris in the water.

I use the potting mixture in plastic pots topped with standard aquarium pea gravel. The potting soil will nourish the plant for several months. Combine the mixture with a good liquid with the trace elements and the plants do very well.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode