Jumpstart substrate cycle? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Jumpstart substrate cycle?

What I was thinking is inning a fairly large air pump in a bucket full of water and substrate have the bubbles at very bottom and have the water filled with something like stability, any ideas? I need a quick cycle as I can only have one tank up at a time so I'll be throwing a small bioload into an uncycled tank with media from current filter and plants, lots

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 01:54 AM
The Security Dude

PTrader: (116/100%)
By Hagen Cycle and follow the directions. Also use pre colanized media from a cycled tank, and do a squeeze of a sponge of a cycled tank. You can cycle in a week, byt you will need to do water changes every so often to keep major spikes down. I did it on my OEBT tank, was safe and gave it 2 weeks, but it worked all shrimp survived

55 Planted Rummys,2 GBR,8 Corys,4 Discus PFR Culls
Many shrimp tanks

Finnex Pimp #8
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Tetra Safe Start works the best and the fastest but is the most expensive. I've used niteout but it takes a bit longer. Seachem stability, cycle and a couple others I have experimented with don't work IME. Plants and a sponge filter from an established tank work the best.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I have media I'll be usin from my other tank, the new filter is an ocean clear 325 25 micron pleated, center will have lots of established bio media, I'll get some safestart and seed my substrate

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can do a fishless cycle in a bucket of water. Add whatever you want to the bucket such as the new substrate, and new filter media. Good water movement from almost any kind of pump, bubbler or filter. (I have even run a Fluval 404 on a 5 gallon bucket). Very good idea to keep the water moving all the way into the bottom of the bucket under the substrate. A bubbler is a good thing for this, or you could bury a table top fountain pump in there.
Add enough ammonia to read 5 ppm. Test daily. (Ammonia without surfactants or perfumes)
When the nitrite shows up allow the ammonia to drop to 3 ppm, and keep it there (add ammonia as needed) until the cycle is done.
If the ammonia or nitrite get over 5 ppm do a water change.

If you can add any source of nitrospiros bacteria this will jump start the cycle. The more you add the faster the cycle will go. If you start with no bacteria the right bacteria will find it and grow. The fishless cycle will take 3 weeks if you start with no bacteria.
Good sources of bacteria:
Cycled filter media from a healthy tank.
Top layer of substrate from a healthy tank.
Anything else from a healthy tank. These bacteria grow on surfaces, not much in the water, but if all you can do is take the water, then get the dirtiest water siphoned from the bottom of the tank, and rinsed from the filter.
Bacteria in a bottle. Make sure it has Nitrospiros, all other 'cycle in a bottle' products have the wrong bacteria. If you use one of these products your cycle could be complete in 24-48 hours.

When the cycle is complete keep on feeding the bacteria with ammonia until you are ready to set up the new tank. The water in the bucket will be very high in nitrates, so a quick rinse of everything you use will be good. Do not get too aggressive. The new bacteria colonies are still growing and developing a good attachment to all the surfaces.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I don't have that kind of time I'm more than likely moving fish in tomorrow night since I don't have everything I need today

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

There is no real point to trying to cycle the new media in such a short time.
Just rinse as needed. If you want to add some bacteria, you can, but it would not get growing much just overnight, and whatever attachment had started would get broken loose when you move the substrate in setting up the new tank.

Get a bottle that includes Nitrospiros species of bacteria.

Save all the bacteria you can from the old set up.
Filter media will have the most bacteria. Save all you can of this. If it fits in the new filter, great. If not, then put it in a mesh bag or nylon stocking. Hang these bags inside the tank in the new set up. Then, about once a week, remove one bag.
The uppermost layer of substrate will also have a lot. Skim the top 1/4" to 1/2" and put this in a mesh bag or nylon stocking, and do the same as with the filter media.
There will also be a pretty good population of bacteria on all other surfaces like driftwood, rocks, plant leaves and stems...

These bacteria do not need to stay under water. They can be kept in a humid location, with plenty of oxygen. For example keep the rocks and driftwood damp in a garbage bag or in a bucket while you are doing the change over.
The filter media can stay in the filter, as long as there is a source of oxygen. About an hour is no problem. Longer than that I would take out the media and put it in a bucket with just a little water. That way the bacteria get oxygen from the air, but the filter media will stay damp.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks I'll be running the filter on a bucket that the plecos and fry will be waiting in, the other bucket will hold my plants tetras and Betta while I scape and fill the new tank, I have a feeling I'll need a heater for this tank, would adding hot water to the tank to get the temp up be safe?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Tap water he's runs around 66 degrees and it needs to go up to 82 in a 60g tank

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
no, don't add hot water. it can shock the fish and kill them. you could add a little bit hotter water (like 5 degrees over at the most) in small (20%-ish?), successive water changes to warm up the water, but eventually it would cool down. it would possibly result in ich. i'd just get a heater...the fish will probably be fine in the cooler water for at least a while.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

not while fish are in, just before i add them, im filling the tank from scratch with garden tap so its cold

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

my fish are used to 82 degree water and this is constant, my tank is acrylic and is not heated, going to a much larger tank that happens to be glass... which isnt very insulating

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
oh, then yeah, that should be fine. so long as livestock isn't in the tank during. i initially filled my tank up with warm tap water (dechlorinated), so.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Not an option when we're talking a little over 60 gallons my ro system and storage won't be up for a few weeks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode