Are Cory Cats okay with Eco Complete? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Are Cory Cats okay with Eco Complete?

I mixed in 20 pounds of Eco Complete to my existing gravel yesterday. It already had some Eco from a couple of years ago.
I'm looking to add some additional fish and cory cats would be a good choice with the fish already in the tank, but is the eco too sharp? Hopefully, I'll get some ground cover going, but wonder about that in general.
Also wondering about gravel vacuuming. What is the best way to approach this? I usually van the gravel every PWC (once every week or two), but it looks to me that this might not be a good practice when trying to get plants growing well. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have 5 cory cats with 40lbs Eco and they are doing fine.

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.

―A Bruce Lee saying
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I used to have 5 Cory cats in a 40 gallon long using Eco-Complete as substrate.

Now I have 12! They started spawning like crazy. The extra 7 are just the survivors because I took no special measures to protect the fry (besides fishing them out of the filter).

Honestly, I think the "Eco-Complete is bad for Cories" myth was started by someone who used Eco-Complete, but failed to maintain good water quality. Some people think it's poor water quality that causes Cory barbel erosion.

My Cories' barbels are complete and not the least bit eroded.

I never vacuum the gravel, but I do stir it up on occasion to let the filters catch the mulm. My water changes are %25 once a week. I never miss it.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I have a mom and a dad cory cat and their two babies in my 29 with 100% Eco complete. They've bred twice in the tank but only two babies have ever survived due to the other fish eating the fry. They will be fine
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I agree with the above posts. I've always had cories from albinos, peppered, pygmy, and panda. All of my tanks have eco-complete and their all fine.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Mine have been in black diamond blasting grit for over a month and look 100% fine. Yours should be more then okay.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 07:18 PM
s_s
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrol View Post
Mine have been in black diamond blasting grit for over a month and look 100% fine. Yours should be more then okay.
Yep, mine have been with black diamond for 4 months now and have completely health barbels. I think reports of course material "grinding them off" are maybe just a bit of cautious speculation.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
How do you guys think Pygmy cories would do with Caribsea Floramax?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
How do you guys think Pygmy cories would do with Caribsea Floramax?
Yeap, I have had 5 Corydora Pygmeus for over a year with the Caribsea Floramax
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
Yeap, I have had 5 Corydora Pygmeus for over a year with the Caribsea Floramax
Have you noticed any damage to their barbels? As that's the main reason they don't like substrate with sharp edges.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
I got pygmys in blasting sand and they are always rooting around in there digging for worms. Barbels are 100%

Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

E

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Blasting sand is fine for their barbels since the sand is finer.

What I'm worried about is the sharp edges that flora max has.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
IME babel erosion comes from too much NO3 and maybe PO4 in the water.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Interesting answers! I will go ahead and add some copies to my tank. I already have two zebra loaches and 3 bristlenose plecos. I had 20 pounds of Eco mixed in with regular, natural gravel and added another 20 pounds last Thursday. Was a bit worried about the roughness with my existing fish but never saw any problem, but had read about the sharp edges. I'd love to get a nice, soft-looking "ground covered" of sorts growing but am too new to this to know even what type of plant would grow like that in my tank. Lots of learning to do!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
IME babel erosion comes from too much NO3 and maybe PO4 in the water.
Too much as in just the normal EI dosing? Or do you mean levels beyond that?

-VeeSe

Tags
cory cats, eco complete, gravel vac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode