Kitty litter, FloraMax, Pool Filter Sand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Kitty litter, FloraMax, Pool Filter Sand

I am looking for a cheap substrate for my 55g tank. I have a nearly full 25lb bag of Special Kitty and a 12lb bag of FloraMax. The FM is on sale for about $10. I was thinking of getting another bag or two of that and mixing it all with the kitty litter and capping with PFS. I'm completely new to planted aquariums and substrates, so I'm looking for some thoughts or suggestions on cheap, effective substrate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Um, I personally would not use kitty litter. They can have lots of chemical like odor neutralizers that wouldn't be good for fish. You could buy play sand to cap of floramax or mix it in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've seen a lot of discussion about that, and most people say that the cheapest of the cheap litters will be ok if they don't have the chemicals, and that's what I have. Special Kitty is one of the often mentioned brands to use.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 02:24 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
All you have to do is check the content of it. Just get the kind that is all clay and no clumping agents, aromas, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 04:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
If you plan on having shrimp in your tank, think twice about the FloraMax. I've been told and have read a couple different threads on how it isn't the greatest thing to use in shrimp tanks. However, someone else may be able to give some other input on its effects with shrimp.
Either way, I thought it was pretty nice in my tank. It's about the same size and texture as the normal Flourite, so it mixed pretty nicely. With that being said, if you wanted a darker substrate, you could use black sand. I can't remember what it's called (Black Diamond Blasting Media?), but I know quite a few people that use it and have had good things to say about it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 04:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Special Kitty: All Natural Cat Litter is perfectly safe for use in aquariums, because it's a clay based medium made of 100% ground clay with NO added chemicals. But all clay based substrates have a high CEC (including kitty litter) and absorb nutrients. It works very well in the planted aquarium, I mix it into the mineralized soil in my 55 gallon MTS tank......

45g Long - High Light Planted Tank / 30g - Plant Grow Out Tank / 100g Tank - currently resealing
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 05:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
A 50lb bag of turface is $11 and would be more than enough for a 55

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I did an experiment with Special Kitty. I put 3" in a 5g bucket just like you'd have in a tank and filled the bucket. My tap KH is 4 and less than 12 hours later the KH in the bucket was 3. Next day it was 2. I had to end the experiment because I needed the bucket. But I've read that it eventually stops affecting KH.

I have Turface in my 75g. I read that it too drops KH for a time but then stops. I never tested the KH while it was new, but it does stop.

-Lisa

Selling it all!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 05:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Why shouldn't you use flora max in a shrimp tank? That's what I am using right now. Granted I'm going to cap it off or remove it soon anyways, why is it a bad idea?

must....have.....more....moss n shrimp!!!!!!!!!!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I use floramax in my 75, capped with PFS. I honestly will never use it again. For the price i could do so many different things. And it really doesnt do much for my plants. My plants never took off until i used root tabs and started dosing ferts. I use black diamond blasting grit in my other tank, $8 from tractor supply, i use root tabs and dose ferts and things grow crazy good. I plan to try kitty litter with soil in another tank and i wanna try turface as well. Or safe-t-sorb.
But that floramax is wack!!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Later next year maybe plan on getting azoo for my 55 if it works well with my 5.5

must....have.....more....moss n shrimp!!!!!!!!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode