How much soilmaster select charcoal? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to will5
Question How much soilmaster select charcoal?

I was just given 30.5lbs of soilmaster select still in the bag. Is this enough for 2" in a 29g which is 30"x12". Do I have enough to use it as a cap for soil?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Half a bag of SMS is way more than you need for a 29 gallon tank! I used a full bag for a 6' long tank, and a different full bag for several smaller tanks, including a 29 gallon and I forget how many others. It went a long way!

It does not make a very good cap, IME. I just use it without any soil under it. It has high CEC, so I do not feel I need the soil for anything.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks! Any tips on preparation?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I just dampen it enough so I am not breathing the dust and put it in the tank. Other people wash it. It takes a lot of washing if that is what you want to do.
Arrange it with driftwood, stones and other things. It will not hold a slope, so if I want a split-level display I make a retaining wall with rock and expanding foam filler 24 hours earlier.

OK, damp substrate, rocks, driftwood.

Plant it, misting the plants.

Put a plastic bag or plate over the substrate and fill the tank slowly, allowing the water to run over the edge of the plate and seep into the substrate. This will minimize clouding.

Turn on the equipment when there is enough water.

Fish can be added right away, this material does not leach ammonia.

It has high cationic exchange capacity, and will remove the carbonates from the water. If you want, you can add something to the substrate like coral sand to replace the carbonates, or you can add carbonates to the water such as from baking soda.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks!!! I may not Wash it as well since I have read that, that is when it will drop your KH. Since I have liquid rock coming from my tap anyway that would be great for the plants.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 05:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It will drop the KH whether you wash it or not.

I have wondered it pre-treating tap water by running it into a garbage can then pumping the water through some SMS for a day or so would work to soften the water (at least the KH, SMS seems not to bother the GH). Perhaps a nylon stocking of SMS in a filter?
You do not want to remove all the KH, but getting it down to around 5 degrees might be a good goal.

Most aquatic plants are not so picky, and will do fine in harder water, at least the minerals are there! Of course there are some specialized plants that really do demand soft acidic water. I would not attempt these with hard water.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok thank you.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode