Whats the deal with dirt? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Whats the deal with dirt?

I typically use flourite or ecocomplete capped with black diamond or gravel. What draws people to dirt?

I would imagine that it would be difficult to rescape or move things around. I am just curious because it seems as though a lot of people on here love dirt.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I personally think its a huge mess but its CHEAP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I have dirt and yes it is messy. But I've moved plants around in it. It's really not that bad as long as you siphon it up afterwards and do a water change. If your a neat freak. Don't do dirt. The benefits are awesome but I would only reccomend it for people who do not like to mess with their tanks. PLANT the sh!t out of it and leave it alone. In 6 months you'll have a jungle(depending on your plants and lighting). Check my sigs, my current two tanks have MGOCPM. Personally, I probably won't do it again. But not because I don't like it or I don't think it works. I am leaning more towards aquascaping and I want to be able to start and end tanks fairly quickly and painlessly. I also want to try plant subs like aqua soil and compare them to dirt anyway.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
See my sig. I'm now in the Ex-Fraternity of dirt. Dirted tanks will give you great growth. If you wanted to plant a lot of heavy root feeders like swords, crypts, etc. and leave them alone, you will get amazing growth. In my experience if you are moving things around a lot, cutting, replanting, no matter how careful you are the cap will eventually be removed in certain areas and you will have a dirty tank. Literally. It's definitely something to try, but I also wouldn't do it again.

40B, T5HO, Turface, pressurized co2,EI dosing
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I think the problem with "dirt" is that it doesn't define any particular substance. You can have backyard dirt, full of gravel and sticks, you can have forest dirt, full of humus and compost, you can have planter mix dirt, full of partly composted sawdust, etc. Some "dirt" can work very well, in my experience, and some may not work nearly as well, in my experience. I have a "dirt" substrate now, but my next one will just be an inert substrate, like black diamond blasting grit or pool filter sand.

Hoppy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Moving plant and rescape is hard, once the root, root into the soils its going to be hard to pull it out without dirt floating out.

Best thing to do is pull just enough out and cut the root.
This way when you replant the root will grow.

Ppl like me use dirt cause its cheap and it's the way the earth work.
Every water bed on this world is dirt cover with sand,rock.

I like to use what mother earth gave us.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Algae Grower

Backing up what Hoppy stated, be sure that if you do want to go with a "dirt" tank, make sure you check out exactly what kind of "dirt" you will be getting. There are many many many different ingredients that various companies may toss into their mixture.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (89/100%)
I never saw the draw of dirt personally.

I understand the inexpensive aspect, as aquarium specific gravel can be costly. But blasting or pool filter sand is very reasonably price and a joy to plant in. I'd rather have something that is easy to plant in and minimizes clouding. Let's face it, we tend to rescape/plant a lot.. As for nutrients, I'd rather control that myself whether it's tablets in the substrate or dosing the water column.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototyp3 View Post
I never saw the draw of dirt personally.

I understand the inexpensive aspect, as aquarium specific gravel can be costly. But blasting or pool filter sand is very reasonably price and a joy to plant in. I'd rather have something that is easy to plant in and minimizes clouding. Let's face it, we tend to rescape/plant a lot.. As for nutrients, I'd rather control that myself whether it's tablets in the substrate or dosing the water column.
And, that has been my exact conclusion too. I have used dirt several times now, and each time swore off of it, only to be lured back by the desire for a cheap nutrient laden substrate. I'm swearing again.

Hoppy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
And, that has been my exact conclusion too. I have used dirt several times now, and each time swore off of it, only to be lured back by the desire for a cheap nutrient laden substrate. I'm swearing again.
Just when I thought I was out, it pulls me back in.

40B, T5HO, Turface, pressurized co2,EI dosing

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode