Best substrate for capping dirt? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best substrate for capping dirt?

Is there any advantage to picking an expensive substrate over the cheap colored aquarium gravel or gravel from the local farm store. When used over dirt.

Tank is 36x18 at the bottom.

I like the look of the black flourite but not the $21 a bag cost. I figure I will need 3 bags to line the sides, cap the dirt and have left over for later.

I have looked into Turface, but most the reviews say that it is light and gets messy, since I am using dirt I think it would just compound the problem.

Some have said that pee gravel can let dirt float up.

I am not to interested in sand, looks awesome but also looks like more maintenance than I am interested in.

So does Flourite, eco-complete, etc benefit the planets more than aquarium gravel or gravel when capping dirt?

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Use Black Diamond its like $8 for a 50lb bag. Flourite is inert where as eco complete has nutrients. I would think if you are capping dirt (with nutrients?) you could use whatever, no need to buy expensive stuff.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
+1 to smokaah. Flourite is inert but has high CEC so it will be able to transport the nutrients in your dirt to the plant roots. Eco-complete has nutrients itself so it will be a "waste" if your dirt already has nutrients. Can't hurt though.

Sand is probably the most popular, but you don't like it

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 05:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Anything that is pleasing to your eye, once the roots reach the dirt will get all the nutrients the want for a year or 2. We also have club members with dirt tanks covered with pea gravel that are 20 years old, so it depend on a lot of factor how fast the nutrients are used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I capped my dirt tanks with eco complete black. It didnt cloud or dirty my tank at all when I filled it.

Canon Pimp Club #072

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 12:50 AM
The Security Dude

PTrader: (116/100%)
Pool filter sand in white!

55 Planted Rummys,2 GBR,8 Corys,4 Discus PFR Culls
Many shrimp tanks

Finnex Pimp #8
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
"high CEC" is a popular buzz phrase that pops up on these threads and apparently it's a marketing + for the tech substrates.

I don't see the alleged valve as the roots blow right through the high CEC cap and go deep into the dirt. Where's the benefit?

I feel the cap is there to contain the dirt PERIOD. Yes, sand offers an additional benefit of being easier for small roots to move faster through the substrate.

OP - I understand you don't care for sand. I would suggest to read through this sub-gorum there are more that one thread about people having ammonia exchange problem with gravel sized caps.

I built a tank with an over the top amount of Organics used a sand cap and had not problems. Much to amazement of the "chicken Littles".
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 05:49 AM
Algae Grower

Anybody have a good link on what soil to use and how to prepare it for aquariums?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/92%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat72sherman View Post
Anybody have a good link on what soil to use and how to prepare it for aquariums?
I have heard that Miracle Gro Organic Potting Soil is the choice of many folks, and the sticky at the top of this subsection has much more info about using MTS (Mineralized Top Soil).

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook." -William James

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 05:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokaah View Post
Use Black Diamond its like $8 for a 50lb bag. Flourite is inert where as eco complete has nutrients. I would think if you are capping dirt (with nutrients?) you could use whatever, no need to buy expensive stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
+1 to smokaah. Flourite is inert but has high CEC so it will be able to transport the nutrients in your dirt to the plant roots. Eco-complete has nutrients itself so it will be a "waste" if your dirt already has nutrients. Can't hurt though.

Sand is probably the most popular, but you don't like it
I wouldn't exactly say Flourite is inert. Inert as in sand and good ole' aquarium gravel. It does have some nutrients. http://www.aquaticsexpress.co.uk/-Su...259/index.html. I have yet to find info for Eco Complete though. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...nutrients.html, check out post 7 from Tom Barr. The man knows his stuff. Eco isn't that much more superior. They are both high CEC and there isn't much difference in the two as far as plant growth success. The debate between the two has lingered forever. It boils down to personal preference with these two.

Last edited by flight50; 05-28-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode