Sphagnum peat moss - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/92%)
Sphagnum peat moss

I'm getting ready to set up a 40B, and want to be sure to avoid substrate "pitfalls." The primary component will be hydrophyte's new ION gravel, but I want to "juice it up" if possible with a nutrient rich bottom layer for root feeders. Items I have available to use are 1) used Amazonia Aquasoil (about a 1 1/2 gal. bucketful), 2) pure laterite, 3) hydrophyte's new gro soil tabs and 4) sphagnum peat moss. Recommendations would be appreciated- the component I know least about is the peat moss, +/- of using it would be helpful also. Thanks in advance for your assistance-

VP

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook." -William James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Peat moss will not really have much benefits fertiliser wise. It does help acidify the substrate which is good for bacteria growth and healthy root growth. Iirc, the gro soil tabs have ferts in them so using those would be a good thing. Osmocote also works. Biggest downfall of peat moss is that it is very messy when you try to uproot plants, especially ones with large root structures(swords, crypts, etc).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mr. Aqua 11.4 g...coming soon

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the info nokturnal- I would like to avoid creating a situation where relocating/uprooting plants will cause a detritus explosion, so I'm considering nixing the peat moss and the used Aquasoil.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
If its scott's miragle grow spagnum peat moss-it will work great ...I used it as a main sub layer on many tanks...
I would put the laterite on the bottom of the tank ,along with the grow tabs spaced evenly along the bottom...maybe a little aragonite down there also...then 1.5" of the miracle grow sphagnum peat ....capped with another 1.5" of the Ion brick gravel...
the KH will be low initially...and will need adjusting...other than that -this combo will grow plants well !!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

aquatic serenity- thanks for the response. So you haven't had any issues with the peat moss causing problems when relocating or uprooting plants grown in those tanks?

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Algae Grower

i dont uproot alot,rarely...so -no issues..
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 05:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatic serenity View Post
If its scott's miragle grow spagnum peat moss-it will work great ...I used it as a main sub layer on many tanks...
I would put the laterite on the bottom of the tank ,along with the grow tabs spaced evenly along the bottom...maybe a little aragonite down there also...then 1.5" of the miracle grow sphagnum peat ....capped with another 1.5" of the Ion brick gravel...
the KH will be low initially...and will need adjusting...other than that -this combo will grow plants well !!
Why would you put aragonite in the substrate?

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Algae Grower

just helps with the low kh draw from the high cec capping material.. initially- and calcium/mag requirements
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 01:06 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
hi, I was in a rush at home depot and bought three bags of "Scotts Miracle-Gro organic choice Potting mix". I didn't check the ingredients, until now, few hours later that I finished acclimating and moving my fish to a temporary tank.

I am to understand miracle-gro potting *mix* contains no actual dirt? the ingredients just list composted wood chip material, sphagnum peat moss and pasteurized chicken droppings. if I sift out the larger wood chips should I be worried about getting mold growth? what vital nutrients would this be missing for my plants? the instructions say you can grow vegetables and the like using only the mix. however I've read on a few forums that peat moss contains no real nutrients, just a lot of fiber/composed wood?

advice is appreciated,
dutzy
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
From what I've heard the best nutrient rich soil will be MTS, your root feeders will go crazy but if you like to rearrange all the time then go with AS. Also you can cap it with what ever pleases your eye, anything.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutzy View Post
hi, I was in a rush at home depot and bought three bags of "Scotts Miracle-Gro organic choice Potting mix". I didn't check the ingredients, until now, few hours later that I finished acclimating and moving my fish to a temporary tank.

I am to understand miracle-gro potting *mix* contains no actual dirt? the ingredients just list composted wood chip material, sphagnum peat moss and pasteurized chicken droppings. if I sift out the larger wood chips should I be worried about getting mold growth? what vital nutrients would this be missing for my plants? the instructions say you can grow vegetables and the like using only the mix. however I've read on a few forums that peat moss contains no real nutrients, just a lot of fiber/composed wood?

advice is appreciated,
dutzy
Don't put that in your tank, return it.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post

Why ? many many people on here use the miracle grow organic choice potting mix as an underlayment with a cap..

It works great.. I even use it mixed 50/50 with the miracle grow sphagnum peat moss....and I do sift out all the coarse bits of wood chips...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatic serenity View Post
Why ? many many people on here use the miracle grow organic choice potting mix as an underlayment with a cap..

It works great.. I even use it mixed 50/50 with the miracle grow sphagnum peat moss....and I do sift out all the coarse bits of wood chips...
huh... well, anyways, I still haven't opened it. I did some reading last night. It might be a good idea to add some clay, and let it decompose as much as possible outdoors, until most of the nutrients are usable by the plants. I also want to wash out any uric acid in the possible bird poop.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you use any of the potting soil products set up the tank but do not put the fish or other livestock in it. Run it for a few days, testing the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
Some of these products can produce ammonia for several weeks to a month.
This is just fine as far as cycling the tank goes, the nitrifying bacteria will grow using that ammonia, but it is a nightmare for fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode