MTS capped with eco-complete vs flourite? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question MTS capped with eco-complete vs flourite?

I'm creating a mineralized top soil substrate and was wondering what the consensus was as far as using eco-complete or flourite as a border and substrate cap, or if something else would be more suitable. I'm creating a carpet of eleocharis parvula starting with emersed growth. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Algae Grower

I have used MTS capped and edged with Fluorite successfully for a year now. Deep-rooting plants like my tiger lotus have exploded.

10 gallon acrylic fw planted. 6 neon tetras, 1 GBR, 3 Amano shrimp, 2 nerites, 1 BNP, Eheim Classic 2211, Finnex Planted+ 17W LED, Hydor ETH 200W In-Line Heater, InkBird temp controller.

10 gallon aquaponic setup, hydroponic basil, 8 HET rasboras, RCS, red ramshorn snails.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's good to hear. I'll most likely be going with that option. Thanks for the info, makes my choice easier and better.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/91%)
I use them in my 55. Plants love it. However, I can't get my ph above 6.4.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I also used Fluorite ,used the dark stuff looks great .This mts is amazing no ferts for 1 1/2 month and no signs of deficiency in any rooted plants.Mixed with clay calcum and mag.Just trying to figure out how much fish food to use to keep soil going.The trick to this type of set up is plant as heavy as you can,trust me my first time was a disaster did not use the right plants and not planted heavy.Every plant more then doubled in size in a month.And they gobbled amonnia had for first 3 days then gone..right now have 18 rummynose 20 neons 8 hb 3 sae and 10 amano shrimp 2 yellow shrimp
Click image for larger version

Name:	fish tank 010.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	47144

Click image for larger version

Name:	fish tank 011.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	47145
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's really healthy growth great looking plants. I'm making a trip to a store here in Tampa on Thursday to pick up some of the Flourite Dark to use for my parvula carpet. I'm using Amaco Mexican Pottery Clay and already have the topsoil prepared. I'm still looking for dolomite but I found muriate of potash at a local nursery. I should be planting by next week! My Malaysian driftwood is almost done soaking as well so I may start attaching Java moss to the wood while I start the emersed growth.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 12:45 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reehan View Post
That's really healthy growth great looking plants. I'm making a trip to a store here in Tampa on Thursday to pick up some of the Flourite Dark to use for my parvula carpet. I'm using Amaco Mexican Pottery Clay and already have the topsoil prepared. I'm still looking for dolomite but I found muriate of potash at a local nursery. I should be planting by next week! My Malaysian driftwood is almost done soaking as well so I may start attaching Java moss to the wood while I start the emersed growth.
If your looking to stock with really nice plants and your moneys worth use GLA .for dolomite i just used (CaSO4) - (MgSO4).i just capped did not outline tank ft and sides
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How ironic that you mentioned GLA. I'm planning on buying my plants from them and they happen to be only a few hours from here in Gainesville I believe, so they should arrive quickly. So glad you pointed that out, I hadn't even noticed they sell it!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyeabog View Post
I also used Fluorite ,used the dark stuff looks great .This mts is amazing no ferts for 1 1/2 month and no signs of deficiency in any rooted plants.Mixed with clay calcum and mag.Just trying to figure out how much fish food to use to keep soil going.The trick to this type of set up is plant as heavy as you can,trust me my first time was a disaster did not use the right plants and not planted heavy.Every plant more then doubled in size in a month.And they gobbled amonnia had for first 3 days then gone..right now have 18 rummynose 20 neons 8 hb 3 sae and 10 amano shrimp 2 yellow shrimp
Attachment 47144
i
Attachment 47145
oyeabog im starting my first planted tank wir
th mts could you devuldge a bit further with your process? do's and don'ts
Thanks
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMovieBaz View Post
oyeabog I'm starting my first planted tank wir
th mts could you devuldge a bit further with your process? do's and don'ts
Thanks
Sorry just seen this.Most important thing is packing with plants,pick plants you will keep and place them so you dont have to move them.Can be a mess but with practice you can do it with no problems.make sure you cap at least 1 inch.If your going to use soil more then 1 inch is not better ,my first time it smelled really bad like sulfur,had 2 inches have 1 inch now.USE a ruler to measure every thing .have allot of floating plants in the beginning like hornwort ,leave the weight on the bunch of plants so it falls to the bottom and does not block to much light grows fast...dont add fish right away maybe 1 after a couple of days .always check the water for the first couple of weeks ph,kh, gh ,ammonia and nitrites most important for me because the fish come first always will...to cycle you can squeeze a sponge from a cycled tank right into the intake of the new filters..my first thing in my tank was amano shrimp and snails...if you have any questions just pm me ....this is my trial and error other peoples may differ...right now to me soil is amazing

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode