Switching to Sand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Switching to Sand

So I currently have a high tech planted 20 high. It has pressurized CO2, 24 W T5HO for 8 hours a day, EI dosing, and eco-complete substrate.

So what I want to do is switch to sand. I am hoping to use pool filter sand. The reason I want to switch is that I don't like my eco-complete for several reasons. Firstly I like the look of sand better. Then there is the fact that I have several corys, and they really dont seem to like it. I had thought of just giving the corys to the LFS, but my girlfriend is quite fond of them so thats not an option. My question is, what is the best thing to put under the sand to help with plant growth, without emptying my wallet? Any sand related suggestions are welcome. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 06:23 AM
Algae Grower

its possible to use potting soil. Miracle grow eco is what I used and it was great.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Root tabs under root feeders and you'll be good.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm not really interested in doing dirt, I like to change things around too much. The root tab suggestion is interesting. For some reason I hadn't considered root tabs. I think I will go that route. Any suggestions on root tabs? I'll probably pick up some from the LFS. I think they have flourish tabs.

As to the sand, do you guys think I will have any problems with anaerobic bacteria if i do a 2-3 inch bed of pool filter sand?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 07:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to StrungOut
Off question I worry about pfs leeching silicates. I would get this brown algae on my moss using pfs. But since your going pressurized I don't think you have to worry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenosX View Post

As to the sand, do you guys think I will have any problems with anaerobic bacteria if i do a 2-3 inch bed of pool filter sand?
If it's something that concerns you, consider adding a handful of Malaysian Trumpet Snails - they burrow through the sand, and will typically disrupt anaerobic pockets before they can become a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrungOut View Post
Off question I worry about pfs leeching silicates. I would get this brown algae on my moss using pfs. But since your going pressurized I don't think you have to worry
I never thought about that, but now that you mention it - I have two tanks with silica sand substrates, and those are the only tanks I have ever gotten diatoms/brown algae in...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenosX View Post
I'm not really interested in doing dirt, I like to change things around too much. The root tab suggestion is interesting. For some reason I hadn't considered root tabs. I think I will go that route. Any suggestions on root tabs? I'll probably pick up some from the LFS. I think they have flourish tabs.

I have a 2 year old 2"-2.5" bed of playsand and never have had trouble with anaerobic bacteria.
I use the seachem flourish I only put it under the swords and crypts I had and they did very well against popular belief that root feeders wont grow well in playsand/PFS. I have also heard of people putting the tabs under the sand for carpet plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwray View Post
If it's something that concerns you, consider adding a handful of Malaysian Trumpet Snails - they burrow through the sand, and will typically disrupt anaerobic pockets before they can become a problem.

I never thought about that, but now that you mention it - I have two tanks with silica sand substrates, and those are the only tanks I have ever gotten diatoms/brown algae in...
I only had Diatoms during the cycle. Never seen them since.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwray View Post
Thanks, I had been wondering if that may be a solution. Thanks for all the helpful comments, I think I've pretty much figured out what I'm gonna do. One last question. I have never bought PFS. Is there any certain kind I should get?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (24/100%)
I have run PFS in most of my tanks for quite some time. I've never had bit problems with anerobic pockets, silicate leaching, or other problems. My high tech planted 180 is PFS.

I use osmocote caps and earthworm casting & sand ice cubes that I put into the substrate every once in a while. It does the job fertilization wise, but can get stirred up if you move stuff around.

My C. Sterbai love the sand.

Concerning brands; go to a pool filter store and look what they have. Some brands are a bit more tan, others are really white. I would recommend the largest grain grade they offer, if they have options. I prefer the tan colored stuff myself, and I think it came from Leslie's pool supply store. $7 /per 40 lb bag

I have 1 bag of Akadama Double Red Line Medium still available....PM me.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RukoTheWonderDog View Post
Concerning brands; go to a pool filter store and look what they have. Some brands are a bit more tan, others are really white. I would recommend the largest grain grade they offer, if they have options. I prefer the tan colored stuff myself, and I think it came from Leslie's pool supply store. $7 /per 40 lb bag
I have PFS in my 55 gallon, got it from Leslie's also. It's a light tan color, very uniform grain size and pretty clean. I like it. I've also never had problems with diatoms or anaerobic pockets building up. What I've always done to help combat this is to shove the hose from my Python throughout the sand while I'm filling it up during a water change. It's always seemed to work well for me. One hint that I picked up in my cichlid keeping days to clean the top of the sand is to remove the gravel vac part of your siphon (the large hard plastic tube on the end) and just used the end of the hose to pick up any debris laying on the top. This way you can limit how much sand you remove during water changes. Take it slow at first and you'll get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys! One last question.(seems like I already said that) Do you think one 40 pound bag would be enough for my 20 high?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (24/100%)
I use roughly 1 pound per gallon...a bit more towards the back of the tank. A single bag will be fine.

I have 1 bag of Akadama Double Red Line Medium still available....PM me.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 02:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Damn, I totally wish I would have read about people using pool filter sand before I went out and bought my Petco sand.

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 03:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I used ADA Sarawak sand in my 75g I really liked the color and it's a larger grain size, not the cheapest option but since my tank is a Borneo biotope the "Sarawak" part sold me. Lol...

Len

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
PFS rocks my world. I got mine at Home Depot, ironically not in the pool section. A 40lb bag is way more than enough for a 20g. Iirc, I may not have used a full bag for my 37g and still have like 3-4" of substrate. But I set up that tank several years ago and my memory ain't that great.

-Lisa

Selling it all!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode