post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
NEW!!! Cal Aqua Labs Black Earth Soil Substrate

Hey guys,

Just found this on http://www.aquaticplantenthusiasts.com forum

Orlando has the prototype...

Here is the info he has so far...

This is quoted from Cal Aqua Labs below.

Special characteristics of Black Earth Premium:

1) Does not leach ammonia

Although Black Earth Premium is highly-fertile and rich in organic nutrients (it is formulated to contain similar or slightly more, organic content as ADA Amazonia), our unique production process locks the ammonia inside the substrate. This assures that most of the nutrients remain within the substrate for the plants, and not washed away by water. As a result, the substrate remains fertile longer. This also makes your aquarium less prone to algae outbreaks, as well as keeps the aquatic inhabitants safe and eliminates long cycle times.

2) Unique production process = durable granules that extend substrate lifetime + better preserved nutrients

CAL AQUA LABS developed a unique process for the production of Black Earth Premium that results in cohesive granules that are not brittle under prolonged submergence. As a result, they suffer significantly less brittle fractures and prolong the lifetime of the substrate. Our unique production process also better preserves the natural nutrients within the soil than conventional methods.

3) Polished, crystal clear water

Special ingredients blended into Black Earth Premium have the ability to capture and bind small colloidal particles in water. As a result, the substrate doubles as another biological and mechanical filtration unit with massive surface area. This results in amazingly polished, crystal clear water.

4) High density granules

The Black Earth Premium formula creates granules with high density (a 9 liter bag weighs approximately 19.8 lbs, and since our soil is shipped bone dry, thatís 19.8 lbs of ALL soil and no water). This translate to heavy granules holding down plants better.

All credit for this goes to Orlando.

Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3x 10g bare bottom, 29g, 40gbreeder, 55g
Member:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

a lil song for everybody who enjoys nature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 02:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
how much?

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 02:15 AM
pkt
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Has this been tested with shrimps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 02:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

here is the link for the thread...(is it ok to link this?) http://www.aquaticplantenthusiasts.c...substrate.html

not much info yet. dont think its been tested.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
here is the link for the thread...(is it ok to link this?) http://www.aquaticplantenthusiasts.c...substrate.html

not much info yet. dont think its been tested.
yeah that's where i got the info...i'm not sure, it's a prototype so i guess they are still figuring things out with it, so no price or any other info yet.

Tanks:
Member:

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkt View Post
Has this been tested with shrimps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Hard to tell, they didn't release much info about it.

Tanks:
Member:

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 05:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I get nervous when I see that claim that the substrate can give you crystal clear water. Possibly if you use a UG or RFUG so the tank water flows through the substate, but I can't see any other way it can do that. And, that makes we wonder about the other claims.

Hoppy
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks promising.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Looks the same as every other substrate available. Only question is will it have nutrients or not? And how much will it cost? If it's nutrient rich and cheaper than everything else I'll be interested. Otherwise I'll stick to Fluval Stratum because I can get it locally...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
It goes for about $45 in Australia, if that makes anyone feel better.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
The substrate has been in its testing phase for a couple years now in AU and Asia. While most all soil substrates look the same, they are not all created equal.

Cal Aqua Labs formula is nutrient rich as well as mildly acidic. As for the water clarity, this is what soil substrate manufacturers bark about after the tank is filled, compared to other soils which cloud the water from day one. Not much to do with water filtration, just after the tank is filled and while the tank matures. its not so messy.

Cost on the bags is yet to be determined. Up Aqua Soil and Cal Aqua Labs substrate are the only nutrient rich substrates out of a commercial bag beside Amazonia that come rich organic nutrients.

Azoo,Fluval and a list of others are Volcanic Ash based with no organic nutrient content. This is what sets Amazonia, Up Aqua and Cal Aqua labs in a class of there own. Apples and Oranges.

I will update what I can after we test drive these over the next 6-12 months.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you need help testing i can do that for you.Every order was perfect

Thanks Bruce B
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

I just saw a post from Cal Aqua's facebook page that this is now available. but no pricing so far...
It looks very promising. Could be a great alternative to Aquasoil and possibly more readly available if its produced in the states.

http://www.calaqualabs.com/BEP.html

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Damn shame they could not get on the ball with this sooner, I went with another company for my 55g. I even PM'ed Orlando to see how it was going and the response was Cal Aqua Labs substrate is in its protype phase, it likley has a long road ahead before its available. and this was just last week!

The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

-RETIRED

- 06/2012

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If it's US made it better be way cheaper than ADA or I'm not going to touch it. Not only do they not have to pay for overseas shipping for what's essentially dirt but also they don't have to get the soil shipment permits.

In other words. It better be comparable in price to fluorite or I'll just buy more ADA and more Fluval...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode