Flourite Cloduy Water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Flourite Cloduy Water

Hey, I just swapped out my gravel for flourite, and I have a few questions. The first is that after 19 hours, the water is still cloudy. Should I just use a clarifier? Also, when would it be safe to add my fish back in? I moved my Ram and pictus into my 10, but I don't want to keep them in there too long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
It can take up to a week for the water to clear depending on the tanks filtration, this is why lots of people will use those aluminum tin things you cook a turkey in, and add the flourite then use a hose to wash it in a yard.

Me, I just pack it into my tank then cap it with play sand, and then slowly fill the tank up. Plus I use 4 canister filters to make sure any cloudiness clears right up in a hour, then I take 2 of the canister filters off my tank.

45g Long - High Light Planted Tank / 30g - Plant Grow Out Tank / 100g Tank - currently resealing
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx View Post
It can take up to a week for the water to clear depending on the tanks filtration, this is why lots of people will use those aluminum tin things you cook a turkey in, and add the flourite then use a hose to wash it in a yard.

Me, I just pack it into my tank then cap it with play sand, and then slowly fill the tank up. Plus I use 4 canister filters to make sure any cloudiness clears right up in a hour, then I take 2 of the canister filters off my tank.
+1 on the canister filter. I use an old hot magnum from marine land. Clears the tank up in hours. No matter how careful you are pouring in the water, fluorite clouds.

RAOK Club

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
I just let it run it's course myself. It's usually fine in a week but I have never used any one those clarity products. And I've only ever used flourite in tanks since I was a kid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I rinsed the hell outta my flourite (17 rinse, churn, pour cycles in a 5gal bucket) and still had some cloudiness

I use a water clarifier and it was crystal clear overnight

but I drained the tank...cleaned the filter, and filled it again and now its clear and I trust it

Fraternity, Inc. #33
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Another question: the 15lb bag didn't leave much depth in my 20L. Should I get another 15lb bag or something smaller?

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I too use water clarifier. Works wonders but it will still take about a week to get crystal clear.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 02:30 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have my tank set up for 2 weeks now and the water is clear. I did not pre-wash the fluorite sand. I dumped the whole bag in 14 gallon tank. Used powerhead with filter to work some dust in the sand and after 3 days ( could of done that in less time) used a vacuum to drain all the water i could. Filled it up with new water and after a week it was almost clear.

I used the substrate calculator found on this site and one bag 7kg of flourite sand is good for 12 gallon tank
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If it is too cloudy to trust putting fish in the tank (think of the gill irritation breathing all that dust!) you can try a couple of things:
Easiest: Add plenty of polyester floss to the filter. This will trap a lot of that stuff, though not all of it. You may need to rinse the polyester floss daily for a few days.
Almost as easy, but $: Get a micron filter. This will clear the water very quickly (I have seen one clear a 40-50 gallon tank in half an hour).
Much cheaper, a bit more work, but fairly fast: Drain the tank below the level of the substrate. Put a plastic bag or plate over the substrate and fill slowly. Run the water in over the plate or bag so it seeps into the substrate. If that still clouds, then do another water change. It might take a couple of partial fills and drains to get the water clearer.
Much more work: Remove the decor, plants, and rinse the substrate in the tank, stirring it as much as you can while running water in and out like a constant water change. Finally drain the tank and fill as above.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode