Flourite Q, moving 29g -> 80g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Flourite Q, moving 29g -> 80g

Question 1: My 29g has been set up for about 5 years. I am moving to a 80g. Can I use the old flourite or is it trash now?

Question 2: In the next 1-2 years I am going to have to move the tank temporarily, take it down for a few days, (home repair), can I just leave the substrate alone in the tank and drain/move it? Or do I need to take it all out? Will it need to be replaced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 12:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
It's better now than when you when you bought it. If you dry it out you'll kill the bacteria in it. That is all. Treat it like you would treat crushed up rocks. Don't soil it or contaminate it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgd View Post
It's better now than when you when you bought it. If you dry it out you'll kill the bacteria in it. That is all. Treat it like you would treat crushed up rocks. Don't soil it or contaminate it.
Really? I'd have thought that the iron would be depleted after so long. But you would need to get more for a bigger tank, so you might be able to get away with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Maybe the iron could be depleted. But I doubt it. Iron is about the only thing flourite can really provide so with the substrate you are only a fraction of the way there. You are missing almost the full range of ferts generally required for a heavily planted tank. Even if it was stripped of iron you will probably be dosing it on the side anyway.

When considering if flourite has "gone bad" you have to think of it as rock. It is more similar to rock than dirt. In fact, it isn't really even close to dirt. It won't break down or turn to mud or any of that jazz. If you actually depleted it of one of it's main mineral contents (iron, aluminum, potassium, magnesium) it wouldn't be what it is any more.

Do you worry about a rock in your back yard becoming less rock-like?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode