How clean should I keep sand substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
How clean should I keep sand substrate?

My first experience with sand is my new 90 gallon planted.

Right now there is not too much plant cover so looking at the tank there is fish poo EVERYWHERE!
Other than the look is there a problem with leaving some of the poo in the tank? I will try to get as much as possible with water changes but I don't even have 1/2 the fish I plan to stock and its a mess in only 2 weeks! My plan was to do waterchanges every other week- especially once the plants have covered the tank and the crud on the sand is not visible.

As long as the water parameters stay safe and I clean what I can is there a problem with leaving some filth on the sand?
I am pretty shocked at how filthy it is because almost all of these fish came from my 10 gallon but have made a complete mess of the 90 gallon.
Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
Did you have dark substrate or much larger gravel in your previous tank? If so, then yes, this is normal. Your fish made just as much of a mess in the last tank: you just did not see it because it was the same color as your substrate or it fell in a little bit because the gravel was big.

-VeeSe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Its was clay pieces so I guess most of it just fell into the substrate.
Once the plants start growing over will I need to really try to get all of the poo up or is it ok to leave it in areas covered in carpet plants? I have heard some people say they leave it for fertilizer but how much is actually ok to leave?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode