Advice from the experienced would be much appreciated - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/92%)
Advice from the experienced would be much appreciated

Although I'm not exactly a noob, I haven't set up that many planted tanks, and am contemplating a new 40 breeder. I have ordered a bunch of hydrophyte's new "Ion Brick" gravel, but I have a bucketful of used Amazonia, a bunch of laterite, and I could always procure some peat moss or Miracle gro organic potting soil. My goal is to establish a substrate that will be long-lasting, beneficial for root-feeders, and won't create an ugly mess if I uproot and replant any stems I might want to use. My thinking is to use the Amazonia and laterite for a thin bottom layer with about 3" of the Ion brick on top. If anyone has done anything similar to this, I would be grateful if you would share your experiences (good and bad) so that I might avoid any potential pitfalls, thanks.

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook." -William James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
that should work just fine...I think the ion brick is nothing more than turface or infield pro..I have used the laterite/peat/mgocps on the bottom with turface mvp on top with good results...especially with the root feeders..
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/92%)
Thanks for the reply- any problems when uprooting/replanting stem plants (pieces from bottom layer migrating to the top, etc.)?

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook." -William James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode