Hydroponic: clay pebbles or rocks are made from pH neutral clay.. - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Hydroponic: clay pebbles or rocks are made from pH neutral clay..

Does this stuff work as a possible substrate?
idk.. just stumbled on this.. was wondering if it could be a shrimp substrate..

thoughts..

http://www.amazon.com/Hydroton-Leca-...ef=pd_sbs_lg_5

http://www.amazon.com/Hydroton-GMHT1...ef=pd_sbs_lg_1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I use them in my riparium they work great I don't see why they wouldn't work as a substrate
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
They tend to float too much. Any air trapped in them and they float. Plus, only the smaller size is small enough to consider as a substrate. I see no advantage to using them over using several other substrates.

Hoppy

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)
It could be used for a shrimp tank substrate. I use ADA Amazonia substrate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well, i can't get akadama or ADA soils now.. so i am looking for substitute..
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
Does this stuff work as a possible substrate?
idk.. just stumbled on this.. was wondering if it could be a shrimp substrate..

thoughts..

http://www.amazon.com/Hydroton-Leca-...ef=pd_sbs_lg_5

http://www.amazon.com/Hydroton-GMHT1...ef=pd_sbs_lg_1
Much too large. The usual biological and chemical processes that happen in natural and constructed substrates can't take place.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
I have think they would float as Hoppy mentioned. I looked at them myself in a hydroponic store.

Maybe just run a bare tank for a while?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
Is there some reason you aren't considering other substrates available on the market?

Azoo Plant Grower Bed
Mr. Aqua
UP Aqua
Fluval Stratum
et al

They're all cheaper than the hydroponic stuff.

Quote:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)
The pieces are quite large, about the size of a marble. I use them in my shrimp tanks as "bio balls," a site for bacteria culture. They are porous and will float, boiling them or soaking them in water for an extended period of time will make them sink. The other substrates somewhatshocked mentioned are good for shrimp.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
They float away. They also are so light filter flow blows them away. It'll be an ugly nightmare.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
i use them as filter media in my canister

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i just want to get my crystals in a something better then the EBI Shrimp tank from fluval with out TAP water..
ordered a TDS Meter..

too many choices!!!

at the moment i have saf t sorb and black diamond *tractor supply is close and bags are cheap*..
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
To make it easier: just pick what looks best to you while reaching your goal. If you can buy it in the states, it's likely been reviewed here on TPT countless times.

Most of the mainstream shrimp-centric substrates cost about the same or are within $5 of each other.

I don't think you can go wrong with many of the products available today. It's a great time to be a part of the hobby.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
If the hydroton is locally stocked, and if you have a food saver, or one of those vacuum cleaner shrink bags, put the hydroton and water mix in a bag and pull a vacuum on the container. Air out - water in.

But... if it is something you have to order, one of the other suggested substrates would be easier to work with.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use hydroton in my hydro set ups. I would not use it in a tank. About half of them float and they're much too large for anything with fine roots. They're great for hydro or aquaponics though, as long as you don't move stuff around too often.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode