Sanity check. Using last seasons potting soil - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Sanity check. Using last seasons potting soil

I'm a lazy gardener working at becoming a lazy aquatic plant keeper.
We just got a new aquarium after several years without one, and I'd like to try my hand at plants this time. (Lazy = very low tech)
I've spent the last two weeks reading through posts here.

I was getting ready to start the MTS process, when I realized that we had a good candidate already. We have half a dozen large clay pots for annuals that we typically dump and refill every Spring. Last year, we refilled it with our own organic compost. Lots of great worm castings, a small amount of natural local clay, plus some sand mixed in. We screened it prior to putting it in the pots.

So, this soil has been sitting outside in the pots for about 10 months. They are regularly rained on, but have good drainage. No additional ferts, pesticides or herbicides. I just dug through the sail, and it seems to be the perfect consistency, very grainy although still frozen in spots. Has a great earthy smell to it.

My plan was to throw out the top couple of inches, screen out the annual roots, and then soak the rest for a couple days to remove anything that floats.

Does this sound reasonable? I feel like I should be able to skip most of the rest of the MTS process after that. Maybe test the PH and add the dolomite?
Anything else I should look for?

Mikk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sounds interesting.
Usually the problem in potting soil (even DIY soil, that sounds the same as the stuff I make) is the organic matter fraction.
This can do any of several things when you put it under water.
a) Produce ammonia. (I would test before adding fish)
b) Float. (you have this covered. Soak it for at least 24 hours, and anything that floats gets scooped out. Also, sift through it, and anything large enough to still identify, remove it.)
c) Produce CO2. This is good. Once you have a) and b) covered, I think you will have a nice aquarium soil.

It probably is bringing in a nice assortment of microorganisms, so let it age in the aquarium for a month so the ones that will survive and grow do so, and the ones that will not make it will die off, the ammonia spike will happen and go away before you add fish.
You can plant it right away. Some plants do not mind some ammonia at levels that would kill the fish, other plants are more sensitive.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Thanks for the reply.

I'm on schedule to have the substrate in the tank this weekend.
I'm going to try to photo journal the process.

I'm OK with ammonia - because I still need to Cycle the tank.
I've pulled out all of the roots, twigs and small rocks and after a couple days of water changes in the bucket, the water floating on top is (more or less) clear.

Now, I just need to find some hardy plants to start with.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode