white webbing fungus(?)covering portions of sand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
white webbing fungus(?)covering portions of sand

I've only had gravel in tanks before and never used fert. tabs either. But when i set up a 5 gall. for my small red claw crab, I used calcium sand so she could shift thru it. I made sure that nowhere was it more than one inch deep bc of the anaerobic bacteria problem. I have only a few rooted plants as it is a slightly (1.0025 right now eventually 1.005) brackish tank and bc the crab loves to eat plants. I put down 2 seachem flourish tabs carefully following directions. Soon after, i began noticing a white spiderweb like fungus is my guess creeping across the sand in places. I just kept vacuuming it up assuming it was some new tank thing with sand. It never spread across the tank just the left half in a radiating way. Then I put some gravel down on top of the sand for decor and it never covers the gravel but webs thru it. it also climbs the sides of the rocks and N. stellata bulbs. searched all thru web and only came up with two mentions of this-both involved sand. One person suggested overfeeding causes it and since my crab only eats the plants, i immediately thought of the tabs and yanked the two. they were a reeking black mess with black sand all over the place. i think they are what caused this. regardless, i keep vacuuming up the sand or scooping it up and replacing it with cal sand or silica and it is back by the next night. i wipe it off the rocks and it is back too.
so, do i get rid of all the rocks for good, wipe off the N. stellata again, and vacuum out all the sand and put down gravel and later on add a little sand for her on top? I was thinking of leaving the bottom of the tank bare for a couple of days in between to help? bc that black sand is everywhere those tabs were. Can I only do a partial water change with this? I'd hate to completely tear it down with her as she is still easily stressed but getting braver.
i had also put together a nano bowl with a N. stellata bulb and a tab at the same time and within a week that 3mm qaurtz rock sub. had a huge black streak in it and 1/8 inch white very regular looking thin lines all over everything--substrate, bulb, and up the sides of the glass for an inch or two. threw that whole thing away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
i'm thinking you may have had to many tabs in the thank, and as they began to dissolve there wasn't enough plants sucking up the nutrients, so the left over tabs had to do something.

how many tabs did you use, and did you use the whole tab, or just a peice of it?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
First when it was just myrio filligree and one N. stellata, it was one tab with the large clump of Myrio and the one bulb about 4 inches apart. I tried to break the tabs apart since I thought they were kind of big, but couldn't do it easily and since the packaging didnt' say anything about that, I stopped trying. The problem started with the first tab, but again, I thought it was due to a new sand tank thing since both nano tank books I read before I did this suggested using the tabs with sand and fine grain gravel. Then when I planted 2 more bulbs, I put one in between them. Did not realize how long it takes N. stellata to grow roots down or would never have done the second tab, which is where the second spot of growth started. So, I agree, there were too many nutrients and not enough rooted plants sucking them up for a while. The question is--do I have to get rid of the substrate? It's been about two weeks since I took the tabs out and when i siphon up webs, there's still the anaerobic black sand right under it again even if it is newer sand. I would think that the extra fertilizer from the tabs has to be sucked up by my vacuum or used up eventually, but how long could that take? It did take out on nana petite. Got on the stem, when I came back a couple hours later to wipe it off, the stem had ballooned into a white puff. Threw it out. Only plant it actually got on. Although, I am now floating my two reg. nanas to be on the safe side.

Tags
fertilizer tablets, fungus, sand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode